Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Technical Webinar abstract

Thank you Frank!

I know that you are all 6 feet under trying to get through the IPR transition and Standards processes but I’ll mention a few topics that I would like to see referenced in one of the webinars but it will take some noodling.

Now that you have all invested so much time and effort in this body of work, what are the steps that we must take to drive traction in the marketplace? This might make your marketing folks happy. The OASIS staff has taken a hard look at successful standards and we have realized that our work does not end when the standard is completed. In fact, it is absolutely imperative that we, if you will, ‘create the market’ for future uptake that produces implementations and market buy-in. More implementations generate more ‘fixes’ and eventually a better, more usable standard. The OASIS staff refers to this model of development as the ‘Standards Lifecycle.’ First, a need is identified, a solution(s) is developed, the completed solution (standard) becomes widely used (adopted) which creates more need in the marketplace, right?

Many things drive adoption. Our first step is the webinars, then some sort of public demonstration, an XML.org Focus Area (see http://dita.xml.org/), white papers, certification, etc. Some TCs have created an Adoption TC or SC for this purpose which can involve TC members but also the marketing people from your company and end users. I suspect that we will see end users, even on the first webinar, which is great for the WSBPEL OASIS Standard!

I’d like to see something mentioned about the future of WSBPEL in the webinars, is this a possibility?

Thanks for allowing me to join you today!

Dee Schur
Member Support
www.oasis-open.org

OASIS Symposium:
"eBusiness and Open Standards:
Understanding the Facts, Fiction, and Future"
15-18 April 2007 San Diego, CA USA
http://www.oasis-open.org/events/symposium/