wsdm-comment message

Subject: Related OASIS TC activities

Hello,

This is probably obvious, but since these two TCs are just starting,
maybe some early liaison work could help.

1.  "The OASIS Asynchronous Service Access Protocol Technical Committee
(ASAP TC) has been proposed."

Now I am not sure the requirements discussed on asynchronous management
interactions are yet in any way different from any other asynchronous
interactions.  So there may not be any special need to have a liaison,
maybe just monitor.  Although it does say that "The proposers of the
OASIS ASAP TC anticipate that the TC will base its work on the
asynchronous webservices protocol draft specification developed by
Jeffrey Ricker and Keith Swenson."  So it may be worthwhile to have
someone on the WSDM TC get a copy and at least review it.  Also, the
proposal does not reference the WSDM TC, probably because it is early,
but we may want to at least discuss that WSDM has asynchronous
management requirements.

2.  "The OASIS Product Life Cycle Support Technical Committee (PLCS TC)
has been proposed"

I didn't include the whole scope, just what seems relevant.

"The scope of the information content of STEP AP239 covers:
[snip]
* The definition of documents and their applicability to products and
support activities;
* The identification and composition of individual products;
* Configuration management activities, over the complete life cycle;
[snip]
* The capture of feedback on the performance of such activities,
including the resources used;
[snip]"

Much of this was discussed at the face to face when the Change
Management (now Change Description and Notification) requirements were
discussed.  While the PLCS TC specifically brings out Configuration
Management, it does seem like there may be a fair amount of potential
overlap and a serious need for liaison.

Again, this is early in the process for the PLCS TC, so it may be
helpful to get a presentation from one of the chairs and have some
discussion.  Especially if any of the documents they are considering is
intended to capture a "Change" description.

Thanks.

--

John DeCarlo, The MITRE Corporation, My Views Are My Own
email:      jdecarlo@mitre.org