Subject: RE: [wsdm] MUWS - 2.1.2 Message Exchange Patterns

I have some practical experience in this area. I developed an
asynchronous notification solution based on web services using XML/HTTPS
(effort pre-dated the SOAP 1.0 standard). The system had a manager
sending XML/HTTPS request to an agent which would then return an
immediate response that the request was received. At some point in the
future the the agent would send an XML/HTTPS request to the manager with
the result of the original request. The agent could also send
unsolicited notifications to the manager using the same mechanism.

This solution requires that both the manager and the agent be able to
act as either web service clients or servers. It seems clear that the
"management agent" needs to be a web service server to support the
simple request/response model and adding the capability to be a web
service client does not introduce much more complexity. It also seems
the a management system needs to be a web service client to support the
simple request/response model. The problem is the making a management
system also a web service server will add a lot more complexity and
security issues.

In reality SOAP/HTTPS is a poor choice for asynchronous messaging. SOAP
over a messaging system is a much better fit. But do we want to take on
defining two different transport bindings for the first version of WSDM?

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc