Subject: Re: [wsdm] Proposal Definitions on Requirements Docs

Hello,

Just some thoughts to stir the discussion.

Heather Kreger wrote:

> Its been suggested to me that it would be helpful to include the definition
> of "Management Of Web Services" and "Management Using Web Services" at the
> top of their respective requirements documents.  Based on our charter and
> the charts from our F2F I'd like to propose the following definitions:
>
> Management Of Web services:
>       Specifies the model of a Web service as a manageable resource
> including the provision of a normative representation of that model in WSDL
> 1.1 interfaces and XML schema.

There are always too many overloaded words, like "model", but I think
this does a good job by specifying what representation would be done.
Plus it aligns well with the WSDM Charter.

Note that the current MOWS Requirements documentation calls for a UML
representation specifically.  [OVERALL.2].  Perhaps that should be
included in the definition.

> Management Using Web services:
>        Specifies how to to use Web services architecture and technology to
> manage distributed resources  including defining how to represent the
> manageability of manageable resources in WSDL.
>        This includes defining:
>       –     Generic manageability schemas and interfaces
>       –     Interfaces for directly manageable Web services
>       –     Interfaces that integrate existing managed resources into a Web
> services environment

Hmmm.  What about some of the words currently in the MUWS Requirements
document?

      Specifies how to to use Web services architecture and technology
to  manage distributed resources, addressing management of any type of
manageable resource, as long as the resource has a Web Services
manageability interface, provided by the manageable resource or by
another entity on behalf of the manageable resource.  Includes defining
how to represent the manageability interface using WSDL.
      This includes defining:
	-  The components of the manageability interface, including operations,
attributes, and event notifications.
	-  A core set of manageability interface components, by management
category (Monitoring, Controlling, Performance, etc.)
	-  Additional sets of manageability interface components that can be
added as needed
	-  Methods for extending what has been specified
	-  Examples of mapping an existing information model for a managed
resource to a Web Services manageability interface.

--

John DeCarlo, The MITRE Corporation, My Views Are My Own
email:      jdecarlo@mitre.org