Subject: RE: [wsdm] Requirement to support long-lived interactions

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your response. Please see comments inlined below.

> I looked through this and here is our (CA) stance.
>
> [
> the manager will need to get hold of all the messages
> (assuming the correlation ID is in a SOAP header, if it's at
> the transport level it's a whole other problem) and
> understand the syntax of this correlation mechanism.
> ]
>
> We do not see anything wrong with doing exactly that.

In some case it might be an acceptable approach but in the general case it
is very limiting. If only for the performance overhead. Also because if I
want to set up a proprietary correlation mechanism with my partner I am
prepared to write a custom app to handle this but I'd rather not have to
also get a custom manager if there is a way to allow my standard manager to
manage this interaction. Not to mention the case where the messages are
encrypted, you now have to entrust the manager with they keys and decrypt
twice?

> [
> One of the key reasons why we are working to standardize MOWS
> is so that a generic manager can do something useful to
> manage a Web service (ping it, monitor its state, get
> performance info, etc...)
> ]
>
> And I guess that's where we may differ slightly. We want to
> enable a GENERIC Web Service to expose minimum sufficient set
> of manageability capabilities so that an INTELLIGENT manager
> can do the job. The least impact MUST be on the resource. If
> a generic client wants to consume manageability, then it may
> talk to a mid-level manager/aggregator which may expose its
> understanding of long-running transactions, etc. That is
> clearly future work from our stand point.

My view is that long-lived interactions are part of a generic web service.
We are not talking about a specific correlation mechanism here, a specific
business process language or a specific application. We are talking about
the generic notion of a service engaging in a long-lived interaction,
independently of the semantics of this interaction. If we support this, a
generic manager will be able to understand and manage a web service that is
involved in long-lived interactions. You can add more intelligence on either
side if more knowledge about specifics (such as what this service actually
provides) is available, but this is not what I am proposing. We are still
talking about generic web services, I am just trying to make sure that our
generic framework is complete enough to be useful.

Of course I am not talking about requiring web service to support long-lived
interactions, just allowing those who do to expose this information to the
manager. And this would make it a lot easier later to add support for other
specifications in the business process/transaction space since there will be
a common base to extend from.

> [
> - the web service already has to analyze and persist the
> correlation information. Sharing this with the manager is
> very little extra work in most cases if a standard interface
> to do so is defined.
> ]
>
> In case of ASP.NET, for instance, .NET framework takes care
> of sessioning and correlation, etc. It is quite tricky for a
> ShoppingCart service to normalize and expose that
> information. I would not count on service itself knowing and
> being able to expose that. In case of Grid (e.g. Globus) that
> is also part of supporting infrastructure. I would not assume
> that actual service has to "analyze and persist the
> correlation information".

In both cases (ASP.NET and Grid) the best would be if the plumbing code
(respectively ASP.NET and the Grid Toolkit) implemented the part of the
management interface that it is able to implement. For example, if I call
"getLastMessage" on a service managed object it would be great if as a
service implementer I don't need to implement that and my web service stack
(WebLogic, .NET, Axis...) implements this for me. Similarly, this underlying
plumbing could implement the management functionalities that relate to
long-lived interactions since this is the place where the correlation is
handled. The value of WSDM providing a standard interface that supports
exposing services engaged in long-lived interactions is that the web service
platform people like BEA, the Axis folks and Microsoft know what to
implement and end users benefit from having their tools and management apps
already talking. This is how we achieve interoperability among the platform
vendors and among the management applications.

Regards,

William

> -- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)
> -- (631) 342-4325 .. 1 CA Plaza, Islandia, NY 11788

e_workgroup.php.