Subject: MUWS Document Comments (2)

I have some comments on the MUWS document (draft 5, 8/13):

1. "1.2 Existing Management Frameworks"

   The introduction paragraph lists "A number of standard management
   frameworks are currently in wide use". SNMP and CIM do and certainly
   should show up in such a list, but I'm not sure as to whether OMI should
   be listed there. Is OMI a standard ? How widely used is it in the
   industry ?

2. "1.3 Scope"

   a) I'd like to second Andrea's comment about support for transactions. I
   believe it is important to have it at some point, whatever the exact
   flavour is going to be (at least consistency needs to be covered IMHO).
   The only way to get it is to have it in scope of the MUWS document. If
   we feel that we cannot tackle it in the first release, let's open a
   section on future work, but let's not exclude it unconditionally.

   b) Since we assume the existence of a management information model
   (which we do not want to develop in MUWS), a very important reality
   check for MUWS is whether existing information models can be mapped
   easily into the Web Services defined by MUWS. It seems we are developing
   MUWS without doing such a reality check and I'm highly concerned about
   that. I propose that we use a few classes from CIM to do the reality
   check. In the end, someone needs to come up with a guide on how to map
   existing management information models to MUWS. Ideally, this is a
   straight forward algorithm. The more complicated the algorithm is, the
   smaller the chances that existing models can be used under MUWS, and the
   higher the chances that MUWS in fact does define its own new management
   information model, with all the burden that comes with that.

3. [WS-BASE.001.5]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST enable interoperability
   between vendors. Goal: WS-I basic profile conformance."

   What is our notion of interoperability ? True interoperability requires
   agreement on the management information model. Since the definition of
   the information model is out of scope for MUWS, it is even more
   important to add this as a dependency or assumption in the text of this
   requirement.

4. "2.1.2 Message Exchange Patterns"

   The requirements:
      - [MEP.002] SHOULD support asynchronous interactions.
      - [MEP.003] SHOULD support one-way style interaction
      (asynchronously).
   are not clear to me given that we also have:
      - [MEP.001.2] SHOULD support asynchronous delivery of messages and
      request/response styles.
      - [MEP.004.3] SHOULD support asynchronous delivery of notifications
   If [MEP.002] and [MEP.003] are meant to denote something else than
   [MEP.001.2] and [MEP.004.3], they should be refined to say what that is.
   Otherwise, remove them.

5. [STD-CON.001]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface SHOULD be consistent with
   existing management specifications such that it can be used/applied in
   those communities. Including, but not limited to:  GGF, DMTF.".

   It is not clear to me what we mean with "consistent". Let's use DMTF and
   CIM as an example: Does it mean that MUWS is supposed to be able to map
   down to the CIM information model ? Does it mean that MUWS is supposed
   to reach down to infrastructures supporting WBEM Operations ? I'd like
   to see more clarity here. Similar comment applies to [STD-CON.002].

6. [STD-CON.003]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface SHOULD not inhibit the
   simultaneous usage with existing management environments and protocols
   in a common environment."

   I'd like this to be a MUST because it is important for real life
   deployment of MUWS.

7. [DIST-M.001.13]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST support role collapsing."

   One only understands what is meant by "role collapsing" after reading
   the following two sub-requirements. I suggest to briefly define what we
   mean with "role collapsing" in order to make [DIST-M.001.13] stand on
   its own feet.

8. [DIST-M.001.15*]

   They read:
      [DIST-M.001.15] The Manageability Interface MUST not preclude
      Collaboration/Federation among managers.
         [DIST-M.001.15.1] Cooperative, peer to peer, managers.

   I have the impression that 001.15.1 is not really a separate
   (sub-)requirement, but rather additional information for 001.15. If it
   was meant to be a separate thing then I guess it deserves some more
   explanation regarding the difference between "Collaboration/Federation
   among managers" and "Cooperative, peer to peer, managers".

9. [SEC.001]

   It uses MUST for the general requirement, but all the sub-requirements
   are SHOULD. Since the sub-requirement cover everything I read into the
   general requirement, this feels like an inconsistency. Specifically, I
   propose to change 001.2, 3, 4, 5 to be a MUST.

10. [SEC.002]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST be firewall friendly, i.e.
   work across enterprises."

   The notion of "firewall friendly" strikes me somewhat. I'm completely
   aware that this is a very common notion, not just in this document. I
   have to say though that it is not the purpose of a firewall to offer the
   big HTTP hole through which all "firewall friendly" protocols can tunnel
   without being bothered by the stupid security administrators. So what do
   we mean when we say "firewall friendly" ?

   A much more useful requirement BTW would be to be NAT friendly (meaning
   to work across today's NAT routers without requiring additional support
   in them just for our protocol).

11. [SEC.004]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST allow a standalone security
   model"

   We should define what we mean with "standalone security model".

12. [MDL-NEUT.001]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST be model neutral and be able
   to work with multiple existing, domain specific models."

   This is rather vague. First of all, if this is important enough to be a
   MUST, then we should be specific as to which existing models we mean.
   I'd like to see CIM and SNMP there as a MUST, maybe as sub-requirements.

   Secondly, if we take the functionality (both information model wise and
   operations wise) of such existing models as given, do we intend to make
   it possible for consumers of the existing interface to switch to the
   MUWS interface ? Only if we intend to do that, does the whole MUWS
   effort make sense, IMHO. But if we intend to do that, we need much more
   care for the specific existing models as we choose to exhibit today.
   Let's be serious about what we do here.

   I suggest to add a new requirement to express this seriousness
   explicitly:
      [MDL-NEUT.00new] "The Manageability Interface MUST support enough
      functionality to allow consumers of multiple existing models to
      switch over to it".

13. [MDL-EXP.001.*]

   The following requirements:
      [MDL-EXP.001.2] The Manageability Interface MUST expose relevant
      management lifecycle state of the manageable resource.
      [MDL-EXP.001.3] The Manageability Interface MUST expose relevant
      management performance metrics of the manageable resource.
      [MDL-EXP.001.4] The Manageability Interface MUST expose relevant
      management configuration of the manageable resource.

   specify requirements on the management information model, and therefore
   should be removed.

   Not all manageable resources will have lifecycle state, performance
   metrics or configuration data, I guess that is why "relevant" is part of
   the text, but what is the point of stating that if e.g. lifecycle is
   relevant to a resource it must expose it ? That is really a requirement
   against the model.

   In all existing models I know of, there are some standard behaviours
   defined that are not considered part of the information model, e.g. the
   WBEM Operations, or SNMP get/set. I strongly believe it is a wise
   decision to keep that set of standard behaviours very small and
   specifically not to clutter it with things that not every element is
   going to have (like the above three).

14. [MDL-EXP.001.6.1]

   It reads: "Events MUST be extensions of a standard XML management event
   format"

   I'd like us to name the set of candidates for this, if only by example,
   so we can judge what the implications of such a MUST might be.

15. [MDL-EXP.001.7.*]

   The following reqs:
      [MDL-EXP.001.7.2] The Manageability Interface SHOULD expose
      relationships between portTypes
      [MDL-EXP.001.7.3] The Manageability Interface SHOULD expose
      relationships between service instances

   make assumptions about how real life resources are going to be mapped to
   Web Services elements such as port types or service instances. I
   consider this premature, given that we talk about requirements at this
   point, and not about a particular solution. At the requirements stage,
   we need to talk about relations between the real life resources instead.
   Therefore I suggest to remove these two requirements.

   In order to demonstrate our desire to be able to expose existing models
   sufficiently well, I suggest to add a new requirement instead:
      [MDL-EXP.001.7.new] The Manageability Interface MUST be able to
      expose the relationship concepts of multiple existing models.

16. [MDL-EXP.001.9]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface SHOULD enable exposure of
   existing standard management models and runtimes"

   A weak statement like this may be ok as long as we leave it open which
   models we mean. I strongly believe however that we need to name the
   models, and so I suggest this to be extended to specify for which
   existing models we consider this a MUST. The ones that come to my mind
   are CIM and SNMP.

17. [MDL-EXP.001.9.1]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface SHOULD consider and leverage
   current models of service"

   What do we mean with "models of service" ? applying fixes ?

18. [MDL-EXP.001.10.1]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST be able to associate
   categories with information, operations, notifications, and relations"

   What do we mean with "categories" ?

19. [MNGBL-RES.001.*]

   They read:
      [MNGBL-RES.001] The Manageability Interface MUST support management
      of varieties of resources:
         [MNGBL-RES.001.4] Web services and Web services architecture

   Don't think the "Web services architecture" itself is a resource. If we
   mean the runtime environment, let's change the wording.

20.  [MNGBL-RES.002.*]

   They read:
      [MNGBL-RES.002] The Manageability Interface MUST support some
      management capabilities.
         [MNGBL-RES.002.1] The Manageability Interface SHOULD support
         Monitoring management capabilities
         [MNGBL-RES.002.2] The Manageability Interface SHOULD support
         Configure management capabilities
         [MNGBL-RES.002.3] The Manageability Interface SHOULD support
         Control management capabilities

   In many existing models, these capabilities are part of the management
   information model, and not part of the manageability interface. These
   requirement are in fact requirements on an underlying information model.

   Secondly, given that the sub-requirements are SHOULD, and given that the
   main requirement refers quite vaguely to "some management capabilities",
   I think the main requirement does not deserve MUST.

   I suggest to remove these four requirements since they are out of scope.
   Since that seems to have happened not just at this occasion, it may make
   sense to open a new section of requirements on an underlying information
   model, and to move them there. instead of removing them

21. [MNGBL-RES.003]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST support identification of
   the manageable resource where the and be uniquely identifiable (where
   identifiers can be recreatable)"

   I don't think I completely understand what is intends to say, but I have
   the string feeling it says the same as:
      [MDL-EXP.001.1] The Manageability Interface MUST expose the Identity
      of the manageable resource.

   If we agree, let;s remove one of them.

22. [MNGBL-RES.004]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST support finding a
   description ( and therefore an invocable reference to the management
   endpoint) for an identity"

   Not sure I get the jist of that one. Why does finding a "description"
   for an identity allow to refer to the management end point ? What is a
   management end point anyway ? It is not among the terms defined in the
   beginning.

23. [MNGBL-RES.005]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST support expressing groupings
   of resources"

   To me, this says the same as:
      [DIST-M.001.7] The Manageability Interface MUST be enable access to
      aggregates of manageable resources. Allowing: ...

   If we think there is a difference between aggegates and groupings, we
   should define what the difference is. Otherwise, we can remove one of
   them.

24. [MNGBL-RES.006]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST be able to support
   manageability incrementally. (Ranges from minimally Identifiable to
   Monitorable to Controllable to Fully Manageable)"

   While this is valuable, I don't think it deserves a MUST. There are more
   important things we classified SHOULD. Also, it has a very strong
   relationship with the information model which is the main contributor to
   what the supported range is. So I think we should more clearly isolate
   the part of the requirement that does not come from the information
   model. In fact, i have the feeling that there is nothing in here that
   does not come from the information model.

25. [LC-MGMT.*]

   They read:
      [LC-MGMT.001] The Manageability Interface MUST allow monitoring of
      life-cycle states of managed resources.
      [LC-MGMT.002] The Manageability Interface MUST allow control of
      life-cycle states of managed resources.

   Both of these requirements are requirements on the underlying
   information model and therefore are out of scope. We may move them to
   the model requirements section mentioned above.

26. "2.1.10 Management Manageability (S) [MAN-MGMT]"

   There is some overlap between this section and [DIST-M.001.13], and also
   to some extent with [DIST-M.001.14, 15].

27. [FED.001]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST not preclude the development
   of federated managers."

   How do we define federated managers ?
   What is the difference to [DIST-M.001.15] ?

28. [DISC.001]

   It reads: "The manageability interface MUST be described in WSDL
   documents and XML Schema so that it can be discoverable (like any other
   Web service)."

   While I support the first part of the sentence, I'm not sure I can
   follow the conclusion "so that it can be discoverable". WSDL description
   alone does not do that, one needs some kind of registry (e.g. UDDI) in
   addition. WSDL description also is not a prereq for discovery, either. I
   suggest to clearly separate the basic requirements and not to bundle
   them.

29. [DISC.002]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST not require a manager to
   have all resources explicitly defined to it."

   Not sure I understand it. Is it about dynamically discovering the
   resources by a manager without having prior knowledge about them ?

30.  [DISC.003]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface and Description MUST enable the
   discovery of appropriate relationships between manageable resources via
   Web services discovery mechanisms."

   Given that we have:
      [MDL-EXP.001.7] The Manageability Interface MUST expose the relations
      of the manageable resource with other manageable resources.

   I'd like to understand whether we think there is a "discovery" of
   relationships on top of "exposure" of relationships. Is there a
   difference between exposure by providing an enumeration capability, and
   discovery ?

31. [MISC.001]

   It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST use XML schema types
   available for Time and Date when representing a time."

   Why just date and time ?

   Thinking about the XML schema types, I'd like to raise a new requirement
   that is motivated by the fact that SOAP as a binding shines through on
   array types, currently. This is in fact a requirement on another
   standard, but as stated somewhere in the introduction of the MUWS
   document, we should spell out such requirements too:

   [MISC.new] "Advance the definition of XML array types so that they
   become independent of the web services binding (currently, SOAP shines
   through)."

Andy

Andreas Maier
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member, eServer Software Architecture and Design
IBM Lab Boeblingen, maiera@de.ibm.com, +49-7031-16-3654