Subject: RE: [wsdm] wsee requirments in mows

Title: Message
To me this requirement clearly belongs to Application + Systems Management. Why is it important for MOWS in the first run? We want to address federated management of WSs through which messages are flowing and identify what is required for that. I do not think that this kind of fine-grained manageability information is required for federated management. For other cases, each particular manager can do root cause analysis and easily match what Web applications WSs belong to and manage WebApp environment, but that is not MOWS, that is MUWS, if you will.

This belongs to MUWS which is to devise a way to manage various resources and represent their relationships. WS is one and WSE is another resource. Therefore, may be we should have MOWSE requirements someday.

I'm also not yet clear that there is a way to actually uniquely identify WSE for a given WS without getting down to App+System+Networks management. What if services are geographically spread in an "akamai"-sort of environment. What would be the WSE there? What if it is a load balanced farm, etc.? What would be that "entity which directly hosts an execution instance" in these cases?

Then, there is no definition of an execution instance in the MOWS requirements document yet. There has to be one to include definitions that you proposed.

In WS terms, a client hits an endpoint with a request and cares only if that has, will, or would do properly to the agreement. It's the WS's side manager's responsibility to dig through instances, servlets, app servers, etc. to resolve issues. The later can be done today and may be improved with standardization, the former needs standardization or it will not work at all.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: M. Homayoun Pourheidari [mailto:homayoun@hp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 8:14 PM
To: wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsdm] wsee requirments in mows

Folks,

As promised, here are the wsee requirements that I think we should include in the mows requirements list.

Cheers,
H.
---

In the Glossary change the definition of a wsee from:

Any software entity which hosts Web services and provides useful features to enable Web services to perform their tasks.

to:

Any entity which directly hosts an execution instance of a Web service and provides services and functionality necessary for the execution of the instance.

In the requirements list (section 2) add:

The wsee should provide manageability capabilities and information specific to Web services. This would include (but not be limited to) events, metrics and controls that are specific to a hosted Web service execution instance.

The manageability representation should allow monitoring and control of wsee -- the execution environment in which the web service runs.