Subject: Re: MUWS Document Update - Comments from Andreas with feedback fromJohn

Andrea,

Andrea Westerinen wrote:

> John, My comments follow yours, preceeded by <arw>.  I got up to #16,
> and want to get something to you, for your review.  I will send the
> remainder right after I get some lunch :-).
>
> Andrea
>

> Andreas Maier wrote:
>
>  >I have some comments on the MUWS document (draft 5, 8/13):
>
>  >1. "1.2 Existing Management Frameworks"
>  >
>  >  The introduction paragraph lists "A number of standard management
>  >  frameworks are currently in wide use". SNMP and CIM do and certainly
>  >  should show up in such a list, but I'm not sure as to whether OMI
>  >  should be listed there. Is OMI a standard ? How widely used is it in
>  >  the industry ?
>
> Discussion point.
> <arw> I would remove it as it is a technology from webMethods and HP,
> and not a standard.

<jd> I'll leave it in for now, but feel free to take it out.  I don't
see how it really hurts anyone, and there was a bit of previous
discussion of this point.

>  >2. "1.3 Scope"
>
>  > a) I'd like to second Andrea's comment about support for
> transactions.
>  > I believe it is important to have it at some point, whatever the
> exact
>  > flavour is going to be (at least consistency needs to be covered
>  > IMHO). The only way to get it is to have it in scope of the MUWS
>  > document. If we feel that we cannot tackle it in the first release,
>  > let's open a section on future work, but let's not exclude it
>  > unconditionally.
>
> Discussion point.
> <arw> Addressed by my work with Shel.  The bullet item should definitely
> be removed from "out of scope".

<jd>  agreed.  and done.

>  > b) Since we assume the existence of a management information model
>  > (which we do not want to develop in MUWS), a very important reality
>  > check for MUWS is whether existing information models can be mapped
>  > easily into the Web Services defined by MUWS. It seems we are
>  > developing MUWS without doing such a reality check and I'm highly
>  > concerned about that. I propose that we use a few classes from CIM to
>  > do the reality check. In the end, someone needs to come up with a
>  > guide on how to map existing management information models to MUWS.
>  > Ideally, this is a straight forward algorithm. The more complicated
>  > the algorithm is, the smaller the chances that existing models can be
>  > used under MUWS, and the higher the chances that MUWS in fact does
>  > define its own new management information model, with all the burden
>  > that comes with that.
>
> First, while the Requirements document may not be clear on this, Heather
> has mentioned several times that there will probably need to be some
> sort of generic information model for "manageable resources" in MUWS.
> Of course there will be a lot more in the information model developed
> for MOWS.
>
> This is important.  So is a set of reference implementations.  But the
> approach the TC has taken is to get the requirements done first, then
> start the specification.  Without at least a draft specification, it
> doesn't seem possible to try any mappings or any implementations.
>
> <arw> I agree with both of you - it is important, but is part of the
> spec and work, not the requirements.

<jd>  So I won't touch anything here.  Trying to identify and remove any
part of any requirement that impacts the information model is wasted
time at this point.

>  >3. [WS-BASE.001.5]
>  >
>  > It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST enable interoperability
>  > between vendors. Goal: WS-I basic profile conformance."
>  >
>  > What is our notion of interoperability ? True interoperability
>  > requires agreement on the management information model. Since the
>  > definition of the information model is out of scope for MUWS, it is
>  > even more important to add this as a dependency or assumption in the
>  > text of this requirement.
>
> Discussion point.
> <arw> Could we modify the requirement as follows:
> "The Manageability Interface MUST enable interoperability between
> vendors (for example,
> WS-I basic profile conformance). Note that interoperability MAY require
> agreement on
> aspects of the management information model."

<jd>  Done.

>  >4. "2.1.2 Message Exchange Patterns"
>  >
>  > The requirements:
>  >    - [MEP.002] SHOULD support asynchronous interactions.
>  >    - [MEP.003] SHOULD support one-way style interaction
>  >    (asynchronously).
>  > are not clear to me given that we also have:
>  >    - [MEP.001.2] SHOULD support asynchronous delivery of messages and
>  >    request/response styles.
>  >    - [MEP.004.3] SHOULD support asynchronous delivery of
> notifications
>  > If [MEP.002] and [MEP.003] are meant to denote something else than
>  > [MEP.001.2] and [MEP.004.3], they should be refined to say what that
>  > is.
>  >   Otherwise, remove them.
>
> This could probably be clarified.  I think the set of types of
> interactions is:
>
> A) MUST support synchronous delivery of messages (requests,
> notifications, etc.)
> A.1) MUST support request/response style. (Synchronous request/response
> means that the sender "stays on the line" until the response comes
> back.)
> A.2) MUST support delayed response style.  (Sender gets an immediate
> response acknowledging the message, but the official response comes back
>
> later.)
>
> B) SHOULD support asynchronous delivery of messages (requests,
> notifications, etc.)
> B.1) SHOULD support request/response style. (This means that there is a
> logical response coming, but the sender isn't waiting for any response.)
> B.2) SHOULD support one-way style. (The sender gets no response of any
> kind.)
>
> Glossary.  Also, there may not be consensus on these words.
>
> <arw> I would suggest a slight rewording (for clarity) as follows:
> A) MUST support synchronous delivery of messages (requests,
> notifications, etc.)
>    A.1) MUST support synchronous request/response (ie, the sender is
>    connected, "waiting" until a response is received)
>    A.2) MUST support synchronous, delayed response (ie, the sender gets
> an
>    immediate response acknowledging the message, but waits on the
> receipt
>    of the final response)
> B) SHOULD support asynchronous delivery of messages (requests,
> notifications, etc.)
>    B.1) SHOULD support asynchronous request/response (ie, a response is
>    expected, but the sender is not "waiting")
> C) SHOULD support one-way communications of requests, notifications,
> etc. (ie,
> the sender gets no response of any kind)

<jd>  See what you think of what I ended up doing.

>  >5. [STD-CON.001]
>  >
>  > It reads: "The Manageability Interface SHOULD be consistent with
>  > existing management specifications such that it can be used/applied
> in
>  > those communities. Including, but not limited to:  GGF, DMTF.".
>  >
>  > It is not clear to me what we mean with "consistent". Let's use DMTF
>  > and CIM as an example: Does it mean that MUWS is supposed to be able
>  > to map down to the CIM information model ? Does it mean that MUWS is
>  > supposed to reach down to infrastructures supporting WBEM Operations
> ?
>  > I'd like to see more clarity here. Similar comment applies to
>  > [STD-CON.002].
>
> Discussion point.  But what is wrong with saying it can be used/applied?
>
>   Yes, it isn't perfectly clear, but it seems to me too early in the
> process to know exactly what can be done.
> <arw> I would leave as-is.

<jd>  Done.

>  >6. [STD-CON.003]
>  >
>  > It reads: "The Manageability Interface SHOULD not inhibit the
>  > simultaneous usage with existing management environments and
> protocols
>  > in a common environment."
>  >
>  > I'd like this to be a MUST because it is important for real life
>  > deployment of MUWS.
>
> Agree.  Discussion point.  Past discussions have been that there may be
> some environments that are not widely used that may cause problems.
>
> <arw> Recommend adding a sub-requirement:
> [STD-CON.003.1] The Manageability Interface MUST NOT inhibit the
> simultaneous usage of
> existing standard management environments and protocols (at a minimum,
> WBEM/CIM and SNMP).

<jd>  Done.

>  >7. [DIST-M.001.13]
>  >
>  > It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST support role collapsing."
>  >
>  > One only understands what is meant by "role collapsing" after reading
>  > the following two sub-requirements. I suggest to briefly define what
>  > we mean with "role collapsing" in order to make [DIST-M.001.13] stand
>  > on its own feet.
>
> Tried to address this in document.
> <arw> Works for me.

<jd>  OK.

>  >8. [DIST-M.001.15*]
>  >
>  > They read:
>  >   [DIST-M.001.15] The Manageability Interface MUST not preclude
>  >   Collaboration/Federation among managers.
>  >      [DIST-M.001.15.1] Cooperative, peer to peer, managers.
>  >
>  > I have the impression that 001.15.1 is not really a separate
>  > (sub-)requirement, but rather additional information for 001.15. If
> it
>  > was meant to be a separate thing then I guess it deserves some more
>  > explanation regarding the difference between
> "Collaboration/Federation
>  > among managers" and "Cooperative, peer to peer, managers".
>
> Agree that 15.1 is more information for 15.  What if 15 ended with
> "managers, including but not limited to:"
> <arw> Works for me.

<jd>  Done.

>  >9. [SEC.001]
>  >
>  > It uses MUST for the general requirement, but all the
> sub-requirements
>  > are SHOULD. Since the sub-requirement cover everything I read into
> the
>  > general requirement, this feels like an inconsistency. Specifically,
>  > propose to change 001.2, 3, 4, 5 to be a MUST.
>
> Discussion point.  This just addresses how much flexibility is needed.
> Doesn't it imply that a MUST at a higher level requires at least one of
> the SHOULDs at the lower level, or must this be explicit?
>
> <arw> Perhaps the following words in SEC.001 will help:
> "The Manageability Interface MUST enable secure management, as dictated
> by
> the threats of the environment. This includes (but is not limited to)
> support for
> the functionality described in the sub-requirements, SEC.001.1-6."

<jd>  Done.

>  >10. [SEC.002]
>  >
>  > It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST be firewall friendly,
> i.e.
>  > work across enterprises."
>  >
>  > The notion of "firewall friendly" strikes me somewhat. I'm completely
>  > aware that this is a very common notion, not just in this document. I
>  > have to say though that it is not the purpose of a firewall to offer
>  > the big HTTP hole through which all "firewall friendly" protocols can
>  > tunnel without being bothered by the stupid security administrators.
>  > So what do we mean when we say "firewall friendly" ?
>  >
>  > A much more useful requirement BTW would be to be NAT friendly
>  > (meaning to work across today's NAT routers without requiring
>  > additional support in them just for our protocol).
>
> This is a very good point.  I like it.  Though there is a point to be
> made that this is more of a property of the binding mechanism used.
> Unless you want to provide sufficient information for a firewall proxy
> to inspect the management messages.
>
> <arw> Both Andreas and your points are good. Suggest:
> "The Manageability Interface MUST be NAT and firewall "friendly",
> meaning that
> the interface MUST NOT require additional support in NAT and firewall
> products,
> and that sufficient information MUST be provided for a firewall proxy to
> inspect
> the management messages."

<jd> Done.

>  >11. [SEC.004]
>  >
>  > It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST allow a standalone
>  > security model"
>  >
>  > We should define what we mean with "standalone security model".
>
> Agreed.  Andrea had the same comment.
> <arw> Done.

<jd>  Agree.

>  >12. [MDL-NEUT.001]
>  >
>  > It reads: "The Manageability Interface MUST be model neutral and be
>  > able to work with multiple existing, domain specific models."
>  >
>  > This is rather vague. First of all, if this is important enough to be
>  > a MUST, then we should be specific as to which existing models we
>  > mean. I'd like to see CIM and SNMP there as a MUST, maybe as
>  > sub-requirements.
>  >
>  > Secondly, if we take the functionality (both information model wise
>  > and operations wise) of such existing models as given, do we intend
>  > make it possible for consumers of the existing interface to switch to
>  > the MUWS interface ? Only if we intend to do that, does the whole
> MUWS
>  > effort make sense, IMHO. But if we intend to do that, we need much
>  > more care for the specific existing models as we choose to exhibit
>  > today. Let's be serious about what we do here.
>
>  > I suggest to add a new requirement to express this seriousness
>  > explicitly:
>  >    [MDL-NEUT.00new] "The Manageability Interface MUST support enough
>  >    functionality to allow consumers of multiple existing models to
>  >    switch over to it".
>
> Added to the document for discussion.
>
> <arw> Suggest removing the new requirement.  The section talks about
> model neutrality,
> but this new requirement talks about switching existing models to use a
> MUWS one.  That is not
> possible unless WSDM defines a model (which right now, is not true).
> However, could we
> reword the existing requirement as follows:
> "The Manageability Interface MUST be model neutral and be able to work
> with multiple
> existing, domain specific models (at a minimum, the information exposed
> by CIM and
> by the standard MIBs of the IETF)."

<jd> Done.

>  >13. [MDL-EXP.001.*]
>  >
>  > The following requirements:
>  >    [MDL-EXP.001.2] The Manageability Interface MUST expose relevant
>  >    management lifecycle state of the manageable resource.
>  >    [MDL-EXP.001.3] The Manageability Interface MUST expose relevant
>  >    management performance metrics of the manageable resource.
>  >    [MDL-EXP.001.4] The Manageability Interface MUST expose relevant
>  >    management configuration of the manageable resource.
>  >
>  > specify requirements on the management information model, and
>  > therefore should be removed.
>  >
>  > Not all manageable resources will have lifecycle state, performance
>  > metrics or configuration data, I guess that is why "relevant" is part
>  > of the text, but what is the point of stating that if e.g. lifecycle
>  > is relevant to a resource it must expose it ? That is really a
>  > requirement against the model.
>  >
>  > In all existing models I know of, there are some standard behaviours
>  > defined that are not considered part of the information model, e.g.
>  > the WBEM Operations, or SNMP get/set. I strongly believe it is a wise
>  > decision to keep that set of standard behaviours very small and
>  > specifically not to clutter it with things that not every element is
>  > going to have (like the above three).
>
> I disagree that requirements on the management information model should
> be removed.  They are very important to MUWS, as it has been addressed
> so far.  And there may be a need for a generic management information
> model in the MUWS specification.
> <arw> Suggest that we leave as-is.

<jd>  Done.

>  >14. [MDL-EXP.001.6.1]
>  >
>  > It reads: "Events MUST be extensions of a standard XML management
>  > event format"
>  >
>  > I'd like us to name the set of candidates for this, if only by
>  > example, so we can judge what the implications of such a MUST might
>  > be.
>
> Good point.
> <arw> Suggest wording the item as:
> "Events MUST be specified according to a standard XML management event
> Format."

<jd>  Done.  I added "or extensions to such."

>  >15. [MDL-EXP.001.7.*]
>  >
>  > The following reqs:
>  >    [MDL-EXP.001.7.2] The Manageability Interface SHOULD expose
>  >    relationships between portTypes
>  >    [MDL-EXP.001.7.3] The Manageability Interface SHOULD expose
>  >    relationships between service instances
>  >
>  > make assumptions about how real life resources are going to be mapped
>  > to Web Services elements such as port types or service instances. I
>  > consider this premature, given that we talk about requirements at
> this
>  > point, and not about a particular solution. At the requirements
> stage,
>  > we need to talk about relations between the real life resources
>  > instead. Therefore I suggest to remove these two requirements.
>
> Interesting point.
> <arw> I think that our changes to MDL-ESP.001.7 help to address this.  I
> wouldn't remove
> these requirements.

<jd>  Done.

>  > In order to demonstrate our desire to be able to expose existing
>  > models sufficiently well, I suggest to add a new requirement instead:
>  >    [MDL-EXP.001.7.new] The Manageability Interface MUST be able to
>  >    expose the relationship concepts of multiple existing models.
>
> Good discussion point.
> <arw> I would add this requirement.

<jd>  Done.

>  >16. [MDL-EXP.001.9]
>  >
>  > It reads: "The Manageability Interface SHOULD enable exposure of
>  > existing standard management models and runtimes"
>  >
>  > A weak statement like this may be ok as long as we leave it open
> which
>  > models we mean. I strongly believe however that we need to name the
>  > models, and so I suggest this to be extended to specify for which
>  > existing models we consider this a MUST. The ones that come to my
> mind
>  > are CIM and SNMP.
>
> Good discussion point.
> <arw> As in #12, I would add the following words to the end of the
> sentence,
> "... (at a minimum, the information exposed by CIM and by the standard
> MIBs of the IETF)."

<jd> Done.

--

John DeCarlo, The MITRE Corporation, My Views Are My Own
email:      jdecarlo@mitre.org