Subject: RE: [wsdm] [UPlat] Action items for next weeks meeting

I guess I meant set in a very broad sense like the dictionary says: "A group of things of the same kind that belong together and are so used". I didn't mean any mathematic abstractions. I guess it could be a bag, but that would need yet another definition then. I would propose to fix my definition by saying "A collection is an unconstrained set of ..."

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: David Snelling [mailto:d.snelling@fle.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 6:21 AM
To: Sedukhin, Igor S; MURRAY,BRYAN (HP-Seattle,ex1); wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org

Folks,

On 16/10/03 19:27, "Sedukhin, Igor S" <Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com> wrote:

> As noted on the call my concern about collection is that ... <snip/> ...
>
> Therefore I propose this definition. "A collection is a set of
> references to the elements with operations defined for adding,
> removing and querieing the contents of the collection. In addition the
> number of items in a collection can be obtained. A manager could use
> or expose a collection of manageable resources. The intention is to be
> able to represent and operate a collection of Web services via Web services protocols."

You use the word "set" above. We went around the trees several times when doing ServiceGroups in OGSI on whether it was a set or a bag. A ServiceGroup is a bag. There were several cases where a service might be included several time with different metadata being important for example. In manageability, my intuition says it should be a bag, but I can't find a good use case.

--

Take care:

    Dr. David Snelling <d.snelling@fle.fujitsu.com>
    Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe