Subject: My todo: addressing & name resolution

Here are my definitions for our call today,

Addressing - An address or reference is the datastructure to refer to a
unique service with suffient information to be able to locate and invoke it
given that the supported messages are already understood. In this context
address and reference are used synonomously.
It is necessary for management because we need to be able to refer to
manageability services and manageable services in relationships, events,
and operation signature in an interoperable, persistable manner.

Name resolution service - A service which accepts an identifier (URI) and
returns an address/reference.
?? Is it also necessary to accept a reference and return the identifier for
it? ??
It is necessary for management because resources and manageability services
have identifiers (from existing instrumentation and technologies) and it
will be necessary  to be able to get a reference for that resource
identifier so that the manager can interact with a resource through its
manageability interface.

Heather Kreger
STSM, Web Services Lead Architect for SWG Emerging Technologies
Author of "Java and JMX: Building Manageable Systems"
kreger@us.ibm.com
919-543-3211 (t/l 441)  cell:919-496-9572