Subject: RE: [wsdm][OMod] On the updated Mows data model with versioning

Title: RE: [wsdm][OMod] On the updated Mows data model with versioning

Some observations on the latest (Igor's email of 2003-11-14) MOWS data model with versioning:

1. The cardinality of the predecessor/successor relationship between Revisions should be Many-Many or at least 1-Many.  A 1-1 relationship would work fine if revisions were linear, but in real life Revisions  normally form a tree and occasionally a graph.  A 1-Many relationship would be able to represent two (or more) successors, for example, Rev 1.5 could have a successor, patch release 1.5.1, and also have a successor, major upgrade release 2.0.0.  I believe a 1-Many relationship would cover most real-world cases.  A Many-Many relationship woule be used to represent a "merge" or convergence of two or more earlier branches.  For example, due to time and resource constraints, we may have had to release patch release 1.5.1 while our manyor development thread was released as 2.0.0, but we plan to bring these branches together in the 2.0.1 release.  While tracking thay type of merge relationship is critical for source code, it is useful, but less critical for releases.  So,1-Many would handle most cases, Many-Many would provie

2. I'd like to elaborate on the notion of Revision, as we may want to give it a broader name.  A concept that we should be incorporating is the notion of a package of consistent services.  I'm thinking that the Revision entity type may serve as a way to represent a package (i.e. collection) of consistent services, interfaces, etc., but we may want to broaden its name to something like Release Package. So I'd like to hear the group's comments on whether Revision can serve as the "Release Package" role or we need another mechanism to represent a collection of consistent pieces and parts.

Regards,
Brian

Brian Carroll
Sr. Dir., Architecture
Merant
(ofc)  (503) 617-2436
(cell)  (503) 318-2017
brian.carroll@merant.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Sedukhin, Igor S [mailto:Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 8:58 AM
To: fred.carter@amberpoint.com
Cc: Brian Carroll; wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org; Andreas Dharmawan
Subject: RE: [wsdm][OMod] Updated Mows data model with versioning

Here is the diagram to match Fred's words and our discussion. Note that change is an association class. That is what it should be according to UML 2.0.

I don't particularily like 'represents', but could live with it. I would better use 'is about' or something like that.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)