Subject: FW: Two logical WSDL documents describing the same service

FYI.

William

-----Original Message-----
From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-desc-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of David Booth
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 7:24 PM
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org

At the last WS Architecture F2F meeting, a question arose about whether the
WSDL 2.0 specification has anything to say about a single service being
described by two different WSDL documents.  I took an action to write to
the WSD WG to ask.

The question arose in the context of discussing WS Management: A single
service wishes to expose a functional interface for its regular users, but
it also wishes to expose a management interface.  Since a Web service
description (WSD) in WSDL 2.0 is not allowed to specify more than one
wsdl:interface, one obvious approach would be to write two WSDL documents
that define different interfaces -- a functional interface and a management
interface -- but that specify exactly the same targetNamespace and service
name, so they are describing the same service.  In fact, they might even
specify the same endpoint address.

This problem may sound familiar, because it's exactly the problem that the
proposed @targetResource attribute was intended to address.   But in this
case it skips the additional attribute.

At present, our Part1 document says that you cannot have two interfaces for
the same service.  HOWEVER, my understanding of the context of that is that
it pertains only to a *single* logical WSDL document[1] -- not multiple
logical WSDL documents.  (By "logical WSDL document" I mean the infoset or
WSDL components obtained from a single WSDL document and any of its
includes, imports, etc.  See [1] if you're unclear about what I mean
.)  Since this issue of single versus multiple logical WSDL documents[1]
has only recently been raised, I don't think we've addressed the question
of multiple logical WSDL documents describing the same service in this
context.

My own reasoning about this is as follows.
1. The WSDL 2.0 spec should only define the meaning of any *single* valid
sentence in the language, i.e., only any *single* logical WSDL document.
2. Therefore, the WSDL 2.0 spec should have nothing to say about the
meaning or validity of two logical WSDL documents (each independently
valid) when considered together.
3. In the Web in general, it is entirely normal to have multiple documents
that describe the same resource.  Each such document may add to your
knowledge of that resource.  Furthermore, following an "open world
assumption", you should never assume that you know *everything* about a
particular resource.  The idea of having two WSDL documents that describe
the same resource seems entirely consistent with this view.
4. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with using two logical WSDL documents to
describe the same service, even if those documents specify different
interfaces.  If someone wants to create a PrinterService whose
PrintDocument interface is defined in one WSDL document, but whose
ManagePrinter interface is defined in another WSDL document, they are free
to do so.

Do others agree with this analysis?

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Nov/0085.html

--