Subject: RE: [wsdm] Specification Naming

I think it is good as it is right now with WSDM->(MUWS|MOWS). I prefer it that way. I was able to answer the question about it and did not sense misunderstandings so far  (with non-management and even non-IT people).

I think that "MUWS for Web Services" is even more confusing.

If we decide to rename the base MUWS part to WSDM, then MOWS part should be named just "WS-Manageability" :) or may be "WSDM WS-Manageability".

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: Heather Kreger [mailto:kreger@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 10:39 AM
To: wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsdm] Specification Naming

Hello all,
<Chair Hat on>
Last week we had a long discussion on the names of our specifications.
I would like everyone who is not happy with the current naming to email in their candidates and we'll spend a short time
on selecting one on our Thursday call.

The reasoning for changing the name was that it is not clear to those outside of or new to WSDM that the MOWS specification is an application of the MUWS specification for the Web Service as an IT resource. Winston and I have answered this question many times as well.

Some felt that changing MUWS 1.0 to WSDM 1.0 made the title of the specification less descriptive of its purpose, as WSDM could be interepreted to mean MUWS or MOWS. It seems that other TCs don't name their specifications the same as their working group names (e.g. Security TC), so we do have some freedom here.
</Chair Hat on>

<IBM Hat on>
Here a few that the IBMers liked:

MUWS - keep it as "Management Using Web Services"
MOWS - change to "MUWS for Web Services"

second place was - "MUWS - Web Services"
third place was - "MUWS - Web Services Manageability" (which may be confusing with the submission by the same name)
</IBM Hat on>

Heather Kreger
STSM, Web Services Lead Architect for SWG Emerging Technologies
Author of "Java and JMX: Building Manageable Systems"
kreger@us.ibm.com
919-543-3211 (t/l 441) cell:919-496-9572