Subject: Upcoming Spec comment/Open issue note

Greetings those of WSDM :-)

I'm not quite sure where this belongs -- it's either an oops, an open
issue, or something we'll deal with later (which are probably all really
the same thing :-)

In our MOWS (at least) model, a manageability endpoint can provide
management for a number of manageable endpoints. (The converse is true
as well but not terribly relevant to this missive.)

Thus, some manageability endpoint A can be managing B, C, and D.
Section 2.3 of MOWS outlines the responsibilities of the manageability
endpoint with respect to properly collecting information.

That said, how does one get, say, metrics for B from A?  Our WSDL define
a port with no operations, since they come from WS-RP.  Which is fine.

The WSRP FW gives us the ability to query specific properties, but I
don't know that we've provided a means to scope those to a particular
managed endpoint.  To do so, I think, we need to have some association
between the properties & endpoints;  at present, the properties appear
to be associated solely with the manageability endpoint.

Our interop scenario's at this point don't require this at present --
the scenario's in question outline a 1:1 mapping between business
endpoint and manageability endpoint, possibly in different services.  So
we can clearly punt for now.

But we will, I think, have to extend the specification to deal with this
eventually.  We will either have to add some affiliation between metrics
and managed endpoints (or other classifications) to enable queryability,
refine our manageability/managed endpoint relationships, define multiple
property sheets, or something.

Food for thought...

(Or I might be missing the bleeding obvious!  It's been a long week... :-/ )

/fred
--
Fred Carter / AmberPoint, Inc.

mailto:fred.carter@amberpoint.com