Subject: Concepts in WSDM

Hello,

Perhaps instead of focusing first on the terminology, let us agree on
the concepts.

William Vambenepe wrote:
> In our model, the only two real actors are the consumer (C) and the
> managed resource (MR). The manageability providers exists because it is
> the infrastructure that ensures that the MR gets the messages sent to
> it, but it doesn't receive messages of its own. It is just a conduit to
> get the messages routed to the MR, where the processing happens. So for
> all practical purposes I don't think it is helpful to mention the MP in
> these scenarios. The WSDL describes the manageability capabilities of
> the MR, not the MP.

This is an interesting statement, but also one that the WSDM TC has not
agreed to.

The concepts that the WSDM TC started with and show up in all the
documents is: all the WSDM message receipt and processing is done in the
MP, which acts as an agent for the MR.  The MR, after all, is the entity
being made manageable, not the entity providing manageability.

In fact, some proposals, like WSMF, specifically called out two
entities:  a managed object and a managed resource - the first receiving
SOAP messages, the second being a printer or other resource.  And the
WSDM TC specifically rejected that notion, preferring instead having a
Manageability Provider which could provide manageability for multiple IT
resources.  The mechanism for telling the MP which IT resource you are
managing has not yet been decided in detail by the WSDM TC.

However, the concept was also for Cs to be able to think about
themselves managing MRs and not to have to think about themselves asking
an MP to manage the MR on C's behalf.  (Which I believe is the essence
of William's point, though I could be entirely wrong here.)

[Note that the MR and the MP can easily be one and the same, or the MP
can be  implemented in seventy-three different locations.  Either way we
go with these concepts, we need to be careful not to unduly constrain
the locus of implementation.]

If we want to adopt William's approach, in the new world of
WS-Addressing, WS-Resource Framework, etc., we can, but we need to all
agree that it is useful to go this way.

And William's approach specifically precludes having a C talk directly
to an MP.  So, WSDM could *not* implement a
"TellMeAllTheMRsYouProvideManageabilityFor" operation.  And there may be
valid reasons for WSDM to consider such operations or other
manageability capabilities.

--

John DeCarlo, The MITRE Corporation, My Views Are My Own
email:      jdecarlo@mitre.org