Subject: RE: [wsdm] cases on situation categories

Tom,

[If the result of the configuration change is the establishment of a new connection (and/or the loss of the previous one) then these events are distinct and reported separately as ConnectSituations]

I'm not sure it is reasonable to ask the implementation of a manageability endpoint to make such distinction. I don't think it will be able to make it in many cases. This requires very intimate understanding of what the configuration is about instead of say, providing access to a configuration file of sorts. We're asking too much from an implementer of the software shich supports manageeability of resources using WSDM.

Managers should have this knowledge and ability to classify events, not resources. Again, we're doing a disservice to the implementers of the WSDM standards who want their resources to be manageable in order to make life for our management software easier. Is that reasonable?

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: Thomas Studwell [mailto:studwell@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 12:44 PM
To: Sedukhin, Igor S
Cc: wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org

Igor, responses below. See my reply to Andrea's note as well.

Thomas W. Studwell
Senior Technical Staff Member, Autonomic Computing Architecture
IBM Software Group
C151/Bldg 500
4205 S Miami Blvd, Durham, NC 27703
(919) 254-7574 Fax: (919) 254-7628 Mobile: (919) 619-1038
studwell@us.ibm.com

"What marks the mind of the strategist is an intellectual elasticity or flexibility that enables him to come up with realistic responses to changing conditions... In strategic thinking, one first seeks a clear understanding of the particular character of each element of a situation and then makes the fullest possible use of human brainpower to restructure the elements in the most advantageous way." (Keniche Ohmae, The Mind of the Strategist)
Inactive hide details for "Sedukhin, Igor S" <Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com>"Sedukhin, Igor S" <Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com>

          "Sedukhin, Igor S" <Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com>

          11/17/2004 11:39 AM

<wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

Subject

[wsdm] cases on situation categories

#1 there is a property which is mydevice:ConnectedTo which indicates the name of the network which the device is currently connected to e.g. Nothing, GSM900, GSM1900, GSM 1800, 802.11g, 802.11.b etc. Such property is writeable and could be set by the manager, so this is configuration. When a property change event has to be generated by an manageability implementation for this device, what would be the situation category to put in the event data: Configuration, Connection or Report? What part of the WSDM spec will be sufficient to describe the choice for an average developer?
<tws>As I point out in my note to Andrea, the configuration of a network device may or may not result in the ability to connect to a different network but is always a ConfigurationSituation. If the result of the configuration change is the establishment of a new connection (and/or the loss of the previous one) then these events are distinct and reported separately as ConnectSituations.</tws>

#2 there is an OperationalState property and an event is generated for this property change when state transition from DOWN:CRASHED to DOWN:STOPPED. What does one put as a situation category: Availability, Stop or Report? In this case, availability did not change so it is just a report, but the operational state certainly defines the availability. DOWN:STOPPED is a state which indicates that resource is stopped, but its availability didn't really change in case of this transition. However this would not be true if transitioning from UP to DOWN:STOPPED, in that case the availability changes. A) What in the spec would lead one to be crystal clear on which situation category to pick in this case? B) What if the event generator has no knowwledge of the actual resource state model? How would it decide between UP->DOWN:STOPPED and DOWN:CRASHED->DOWN:STOPPED?
<tws>if the states are substates of availability then one would always report these as availabilitySituations since they all belong in that high level category. While these are finer grained and warrant subcategorization the highest level category is AvailabilitySituation. Even the precedent rule backs up this conclusion if there was any uncertainty as to which category to use. ReportSituation would be used only if the state did not belong to an operational state, such as Printer Ink Low, for example.

One should not mistake the categorization as an attempt to exactly replicate the situation - this can not be done canonically. The purpose of the category is to provide a means of classifying sets of events into a limited set of categories so a management function can quickly deal with only situations within a narrow set of categories, ie, I only want to deal with events that are configuration or availability related. I'll look at the detail of the availability events to see if it is DOWN:CRASHED or DOWN:STOPPED.</tws>

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)
--
(631) 342-4325 .. 1 CA Plaza, Islandia, NY 11749