Subject: Events metadata; Object now or comment after its in MUWS

I had an outstanding action item to look into using topics and message patterns to convey information that managers would need to know about expected events ahead of time.  Here are our conclusions:

While it is possible to advertise the values of this information in messagePattern of a topic, the XPath would be very complicated and Igor's complaints about the amount of processing and reverse engineering to infer the category and severity would be valid.  We are really trying to advertise information ABOUT the event, not a broad shape or signature of the message. Instead it seems much cleaner to advertise with the resource, who is already advertising events to be issued,  some of the important values to be expected by the manager in the event. This enables managers to find all events that will be emitted in a particular situationCategry or severity.  It also makes it very clear what additional elements are being added into the WEF's open content.  I think this ties to the topics work today very neatly without makeing very complex messagePatterns.

Therefore, I'd like to propose the following metadata for events emitted from manageable resources:

Events are emitted from manageable resources in the form of WSDM Event Format [WSDMEventFormat].  The event metadata element describes the types of events that can be emitted and hints on how the WSDM Event Format will be constructed.

The form of the event element is extended as shown here.

  <xs:element name=’event’>
    <xs:complexType>
      <xs:sequence>
        <xs:element name=’situationCategory’ type=’ws-muws:category’
                    minOccurs=’0’/>
        <xs:element name=’severity’ type=’xs:short’
                    minOccurs=’0’/>
        <xs:element name=’messagePattern’ type=’xs:QName’
                    minOccurs=’0’/>
        <xs:any namespace=’##other’
                minOccurs=’0’ maxOccurs=’unbounded’/>
      </xs:sequence>
    </xs:complexType>
  </xs:element>

  <event>
    <situationCategory> ws-muws:category</situationCategory> ?
    <severity>xs:short<severity> ?
    <messagePattern>xs:QName</messagePattern> ?
    {any} *
  </event>

/mrp:event/situationCategory
The value that will appear in the situationCategory element of the situation element of WSDM Event Format events of this type, with potential values as defined in [WSDMBaseEvent].

/mrp:event/severity
The value that will appear in the severity element of the WSDM Event Format events of this type, with potential values as defined in [WSDMBaseEvent].

/mrp:event/messagePattern
The value that will be the QName of the schema element expected in the open content model for the WSDM base event. This value will also appear in the messagePattern for the Topic for the event.

This is an open content model, so additional, domain specific, relevant information in the events could be advertised.

Given the timeframe,
I propose that if there are not objections on Friday by COB EST, that this be added to MUWS. Of course, you can still comment during the comment period.

Heather Kreger
STSM, Web Services Lead Architect for SWG Emerging Technologies
Author of "Java and JMX: Building Manageable Systems"
kreger@us.ibm.com
919-543-3211 (t/l 441)  cell:919-496-9572