Subject: RE: [wsdm] MUWS parts 1 and 2 and MOWS comments

1. For SinceReset metric having ResetAt attribute why is Duration
attribute needed?

2. If Duration = CurrentTime - ResetAt, then why do we need both at all?

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: Fred Maciel [mailto:Fred.Maciel@hds.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 12:41 AM
To: wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsdm] MUWS parts 1 and 2 and MOWS comments

Hi,

     Here are Hitachi's comments on MUWS and MOWS.

(1) There are a few of inconsistencies in the metrics:

(1a) The MOWS spec specifies in lines 614-618 which attributes must be
reported for each kind of metric, which conflicts with the MUWS spec
(part 2, lines 836-849). For instance, for SinceReset metrics, MOWS says
that duration MUST NOT be reported and MUWS says that it MUST. I presume
that MUWS is the correct one (and where this text should be) and my
suggestion is to erase the paragraph in the MOWS spec.

(1b) If I recall correctly, Heather said that we can discover the kind
of metric (Interval, PointInTime, SinceReset) from ResetAt and Duration,
and we decided to clarify it in the spec (again, part 2, lines 836-849).
However, it's still not the case now: whether ResetAt must be included
or not for Interval and SinceReset is not specified, and Interval and
SinceReset can't be differentiated. Suggestion: ResetAt MUST be included
in SinceReset metrics, and MUST NOT be included in Interval ones. But...

(1c) ... ResetAt in part 2, lines 787-792 is basically saying that
ResetAt is included if and only if the metric is resettable. Which means
that we cannot say that "ResetAt MUST be included in SinceReset metrics"
above for a SinceReset metric that's not resettable. We need to discuss
whether to adopt
(1b) or (1c) -- I prefer (1b).

(2) We are using http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/08/addressing for
WS-Addressing, but the June release of WSRF (which we are also using)
uses http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2003/03/addressing.

(3) In MUWS part 2 it's not clear the difference between Duration and
CalculationInterval. Perhaps Duration is when the values were collected
to calculate the metric, and CalculationInterval is the period in which
the metric value is updated?

(4) Is there a clear definition in MUWS on how to put the WSDM Event
Format on a WSN Notification Message?

(5) MUWS part 1, lines 468 and 470: these are elements, not attributes.

** Mostly nits below **

(6) Part 2, line 872: instead of "MUST include zero or more", how about
"MAY include one or more"? ("MUST include zero" is kinda strange...).

(7) Part 2, line 449 and 450: include this sentence in the previous one
(it lacks a verb, to begin with).

(8) Part 2, line 1042: Refrence -> Reference

(9) Part 1, line 744: XX -> 12

Regards,

Fred Maciel.

the OASIS TC), go to