Subject: RE: [wsdm] Certification of use for WSDM 1.1

OASIS is purposely vague about this.

It states that you need to use the specification (schemas), but not that you have to implement or support all the functionality.  There is no 'compliance' testing.

Sincererly,
Heather Kreger
STSM, Management Standards Architecture and Strategy
Standards, Software Group, IBM
Author of "Java and JMX: Building Manageable Systems"
kreger@us.ibm.com
919-543-3211 (t/l 441)  cell:919-496-9572

"Wilson, Kirk D" <Kirk.Wilson@ca.com>

06/12/2006 07:46 AM

Heather Kreger/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, <wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
RE: [wsdm] Certification of use for WSDM 1.1

Heather,

A point of clarification: What constitutes using WSDM 1.1 as opposed to using WSDM 1.0?  (We’ll ignore the question of what constitutes “successful” use. J)

Are the following conditions necessary and/or sufficient to count as using 1.1:
            Using the new versions of the schemas instead of the 1.0 versions.  Doing this would require:
Using the W3C Recommendation on WS-Addressing
                        Using the ratified versions of WS-ResourceFramework schemas
                        Using the yet-to-be ratified versions of WS-Notification schemas
            Tracking OperationalStatus and/or Metrics at the operation level
            Relationship information containing identification of Self.

I think these are the major enhancements, but clearly not all of them should be necessary (e.g., probably the last one is not necessary to say you are using 1.1).  Which ones should be necessary (only the first one, what about the operation level tracking)?  Is any one by itself sufficient to say that one is using 1.1 (e.g., the first one)?

I guess my question is, Can one be said to be using the new version simply by using the new schemas without actually implementing any of the new functionality provided by the schemas?

Kirk Wilson, Ph.D.
Architect, Development

CA Labs
603 823-7146

[wsdm] Certification of use for WSDM 1.1

Hi folks,
For WSDM 1.1 to go to standards vote, we need 3 companies to certify that they are successfully using the WSDM 1.1 specification (just a simple Email)
Last time we had Amberpoint, CA, IBM, HP, and Tibco. I know IBM will again.

Can you please let me know if your company may be able to certify for WSDM 1.1?