wsfed message

Subject: Issue i010: WS-Federation Conformance Clause

Issue 10.

From: Marc Goodner [mailto:mgoodner@microsoft.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 5:20 PM
To: wsfed@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Greg Carpenter
Subject: [wsfed] NEW Issue: WS-Federation Conformance Clause

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL OR START A DISCUSSISON THREAD UNTIL THE ISSUE IS ASSIGNED A NUMBER.

The issues coordinators will notify the list when that has occurred.

Title: WS-Federation Conformance Clause

Protocol: wsfed

ws-federation-1.2-spec-ed-01.doc: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsfed/download.php/24422/ws-federation-1.2-spec-ed-01.doc

Artifact: spec

Type: editorial

The Revised OASIS Technical Process requires all specifications to contain a conformance clause.  We need to provide one for WS-Federation.

Proposal:

There is a section on compliance to the specification, section 1.9. I propose we change that section title to Conformance. We should also correct the double negative in the first sentence of that section.

Current first sentence: An implementation is not compliant with this specification if it fails to satisfy one or more of the MUST or REQUIRED level requirements defined herein.

Revised first sentence: An implementation conforms to this specification if it satisfies all of the MUST or REQUIRED level requirements defined herein.

The complete section would read as follows.

---

1.9 Conformance

An implementation conforms to this specification if it satisfies all of the MUST or REQUIRED level requirements defined herein. A SOAP Node MUST NOT use the XML namespace identifier for this specification (listed in Section 1.4) within SOAP Envelopes unless it is compliant with this specification.

This specification references a number of other specifications (see the table above).  In order to comply with this specification, an implementation MUST implement the portions of referenced specifications necessary to comply with the required provisions of this specification. Additionally, the implementation of the portions of the referenced specifications that are specifically cited in this specification MUST comply with the rules for those portions as established in the referenced specification.

Additionally normative text within this specification takes precedence over normative outlines (as described in section 1.3), which in turn take precedence over the XML Schema [XML Schema Part 1, Part 2] and WSDL [WSDL 1.1] descriptions. That is, the normative text in this specification further constrains the schemas and/or WSDL that are part of this specification; and this specification contains further constraints on the elements defined in referenced schemas.

If an OPTIONAL message is not supported, then the implementation SHOULD Fault just as it would for any other unrecognized/unsupported message.

 ---