wsia-comment message

Subject: [wsia-comment] Security News

Hi Everyone,

Since I have been getting hammered and catching flack for advising
against reliance on MPEG-4, and because we are going to get an update
on IP disclosures tomorrow, my personal radar horizon for these
issues is lower than normal. So, I caught this fairly obscure article
this morning in my daily news review.

http://eletters1.ziffdavis.com/cgi-bin10/flo?y=eP5T0EabON0E4J0nXu0AZ

Since it deals with RAND (Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory Royalty
Provision) issues, which lie at the heart of the MPEG-4 disputes,
which recently developed into a nasty little war between RAND and RF
(Royalty-Free) factions, I pass it along mostly without comment.

However, when WS-I announced itself, I got the strong impression that
its charter was to provide interoperability TESTING standards, not
candidate specifications. Since we are OASIS-based, yet number
amongst us member companies involved with WS-I at the topmost
organizational rung, if we could ask for an update on that for our
next meeting, June 9, that would be helpful. One day to investigate
this is not reasonable, so I won't bring it up tomorrow, if I am able
to attend, which is dependent on schedules other than my own.

Ciao,
Rex