Subject: RE: [wsia] draft of Republished use case

Is this really a new Use Case?  All the patterns are of the form:

Publisher --> Consumer --> "End User"

Clearly, this can be recursive:

Publisher_0 --> Consumer_0  --> "End_User_0"
                Publisher_1 --> Consumer_1    --> "End_User_1"

and so on.

I think most technical issues have been surfaced by the other Use Cases.
This Case, however, raises some interesting problems that I haven't seen
addressed as yet:
	- How do you enforce trademark/copyright rights?
	- How do you partition and collect licensing fees?
	- Etc.

I am not a lawyer, but I think these are called "derivative rights".  These
are the types of issues that Napster and others have had to face.

Suppose I create a service and charge you to use it.  Then you add some
value to the service and republish it to n End Users who each republish it
adding some more value, etc.  Eventually, I want my cut from fees paid by
all those ultimate "end users".  Or perhaps I just charge you a big chunk of
change and grant you the unlimited right to reuse.

So along with specifying what service elements can be changed or not
changed, whether this is static or dynamic, how elements within different
services relate to one another, etc.; you probably will also need to think
about managing trademarks/copyrights, managing fee collection and
distribution, and related issues.

Brian R. Young
SSG & WHQ IS / Companywide Architecture and Standards
(425) 865-5834
brian.r.young@boeing.com