Subject: RE: [wsia] Can a producer make look & feel changes?

A couple of comments to the points raised by both Elion and Greg.

As Elion outlines, the roles of Producer and Consumer are separate from
the topology of the software being used and the choices of what tasks to
perform where.  I believe that the goal is to keep the roles as clean as
possible.  Within those roles, the Producer defines what may be changed
and the Consumer decides what changes to actually make.  How this
works is an issue to be decided in defining the interfaces between the two.

There was (as I read it) an implication in Greg's question that the choice
of what tasks to perform where would influence the protocol used to
communicate between Producer and Consumer.  I don't believe that this
is the case (at least not in my understanding).  The interface between
Consumer and Producer will be defined using WSDL and may be bound
to any number of protocols (including, but not limited to SOAP/HTTP).  I
expect that we will not have them talk using HTML/HTTP, though the
messages may contain markup intended for display to the end-user.  Greg,
if I misread your question, just ignore this.

Lastly, on the issue of property driven adaptation vs. markup driven
adaptation, I wasn't present at the smaller group discussion, so I may be
covering old ground.  However, I have significant concerns about the property
driven approach that extend beyond back-compatibility.  To me, the property
driven approach implies that the producer must predict all of the changes that
a consumer may want to make (since they are responsible for implementing
them).  This may seem attractive from a Producer control standpoint (which
I agree is an important issue), but I think it will have the effect of limiting the
re-use of services.  Certainly our experience to date suggests that it is very
hard, if not impossible to predict the ways in which Consumers may want to
adapt services and so I would argue we should err on the side of flexibility.

I understand the complexities that Elion outlines, but I think it is possible to
balance them and achieve both our goals.  It is also worth noting that many
of the same issues must be addressed to allow Consumers to describe changes
to the internal flow and behavior of services they are using, so I don't think we
will be able to avoid them entirely anyway.

As an aside, I also have concerns about the property based approach from the
standpoint of how work is distributed.  This is a minor concern, but I would
prefer to see a design which is less centralized.

That's my $0.02.  Thoughts/comments?

Sean