Subject: RE: [wsia][wsia-requirements][E902]

Ahh, I finally got down through the emails to the concept of Handle.  It appears to me, IMHO, to be a solution, but it seems have entered the vocabulary, and now other specifications requirements (e.g., the discussion E903) are explicitly reformulated as a requirement on handling Handles.

I have a question on the first sentence of E902:

E902
		The specification should support both implicit and explicit
creation of a stateful connection between Consumers and Producers.

What is the difference between "implicit and explicit creation of a stateful connection"??  The more "well defined" a stateful connection becomes, it would seem that the more "explicit" its creation would have to be.  I personally found the second sentence of the original formulation of E902 to be clear and appropriate within the scope of the document, but the implicit/explicit distinction left me bewildered.

Kirk Wilson
Computer Associates
Manager (Aion)
Tele: 603-823-4023
Fax:  603-823-4025
mailto:kirk.wilson@ca.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 2:48 PM
To: wsia@lists.oasis-open.org

We should be very careful about specifying the solution as a requirement.
As a requirement the standard must specify the means by which the Consumer
and Producer will communicate some reference to stateful information. The
concept of a handle is a nice clean, self-contained solution, but other
solutions might include central registries of GUIDs or even UUIDs.

                      Alan Kropp
                      <akropp@epicentri        To:       "'Gil Tayar'" <Gil.Tayar@webcollage.com>, Alan Kropp
                      c.com>                    <akropp@epicentric.com>, "'wsia@lists.oasis-open.org'"
                                                <wsia@lists.oasis-open.org>
                      05/06/2002 12:35         cc:
                      PM                       Subject:  RE: [wsia][wsia-requirements][E902]

>My question is - what is wrong with E902?

I'm unhappy with the vagueness of the second sentence: "Means by
which the Consumer gains access to the stateful connection must be well
defined."

We're hinting at something here, and rather than be coy about it, I think
we
should make a stronger statement.  Your point that the "handle" concept
seems implementation-specific is valid.  I'm open to suggestion as to how
express it better in the context of a requirements document.

Alan

A Handle (an idea which I like) is more of an _implementation_ entity, and
not necessarily a _requirement_ entity.

My question is - what is wrong with E902?