Subject: RE: [wsia][wsia-requirements][R602]

As I said earlier, We cannot ignore javascript eventhough its binary. Its
too prevalent

We need to define what means to customize java script. Here are some
thoughts.
      - routing control (Required)
      - interception and interpretation of invocations from java script to
the WSIA service (Required for customized case)
      - interception and interpretation of invocations from one javascript
function to another local function
      - modifying event handlers
      - modifying data and control variables.
      - modifying code. (add a new line in a javscript code, IMO
prepostrous but kept for completeness )

To enable each of these, we need to define the architecture and potentially
guidelines on how javascript is generated.
Note that a WSIA service may choose to only provide the first two wrt java
script so may be less customizable than
another WSIA service.

If do define guidelines for the first two items in the list, IMO we should
be able to use the same guidelines for other *binary* formats.

regards,
Ravi.

                      Sean Fitts
                      <sean@crossweave.        To:       Eilon Reshef <eilon.reshef@webcollage.com>, Ravi
                      com>                      Konuru/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
                                               cc:
                      05/08/2002 11:23         Subject:  RE: [wsia][wsia-requirements][R602]
                      AM

I would completely agree that we should avoid customization of
*binary* formats for the first release.  However, I agree with Elion
that even if we might like to (and personally I don't), we cannot
treat JavaScript as a binary for this purpose.

Beyond the fact that it *isn't* binary, as Elion points out it is just
used way too much.  In fact, the use of JavaScript to dynamically
generate not just validation logic, but entire UI's is increasing in
usage (just take a look at the recent product releases from both
Siebel and PeopleSoft).

IMO, if the WSIA is going to be at all relevant, we have to acknowledge
and allow for the current best practices.  If to become WSIA compliant,
companies must completely re-write their existing applications, then
WSIA adoption will be seriously impeded.

To me this means that we must allow for customization of JavaScript
and not just for action routing purposes.

Sean