Subject: RE: [wsia][wsia-requirements][R602]

Title: RE: [wsia][wsia-requirements][R602]
I have the same concern, but I am assuming that the first paragraph covers such languages as Perl for CGI and Python, but while we are at it, should we consider adding an e.g. in that first paragraph so that stipulating Javascript is understood as standing on par with binaries as obvious? And since we are already specifying CSS and fragments, I have a personal interest in seeing support PHP as well ASP and JSP. This is exactly what I meant by saying that I prefer using the MUST NOT preclude phrasing, for now, and establishing a sample implementation and reference implementations from which to conduct conformance testing by rev 2... or 3.

Ciao,
Rex

At 2:53 PM -0700 5/8/02, Young, Brian R wrote:
What about support for scripting languages other than JavaScript?

Brian R. Young
The Boeing Company
(425) 865-5834
brian.r.young@boeing.com
DISCLAIMER: Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are my own and do not necessarily reflect the position of my company.
-----Original Message-----
From: Eilon Reshef [mailto:eilon.reshef@webcollage.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 1:51 PM
To: 'Sean Fitts'; wsia@lists.oasis-open.org

I think I see your point (I thought of modification as semantic versus syntactic), how about the following wording (which still puts the Customization issue aside):
This specification must support common Presentation formats, which are in use today in Net-enabled applications. In particular:
1. It MUST support Presentation Fragments in HTML, XHTML, XML and WML.

2. It MUST support JavaScript as an associated scripting language. Such support MUST include a way to support Actions triggered by scripts. However, it SHOULD NOT be assumed that the Consumer is aware of the semantics of scripting elements.

3. It SHOULD support embedded binary presentation elements (e.g., Flash, Applets, etc.).
[Optional/Debate: Such support SHOULD provide a way to support Actions triggered by such elements.]

However, it SHOULD NOT be assumed that the Consumer modifies the binary elements in any way.

I personally think it makes sense to favor a single technical approach that captures both (2) and (3), but I also don't see it as a high-level requirement but rather as a technical preference.