Subject: WSIA 5/8/2002: [wsia][wsia-requirements][R602]

One thing that this lengthy and varied discussion has clearly shown,
that we may never be able to define a comprehensive set of client-side
scripting languages unless for an instant (Sorry, everyone I am not a
programmer by choice).  Perhaps we should concentrate on what this
requirement is trying to accomplish:

*	Provide a mechanism to support triggered actions
*	Provide support for Presentation Fragments
*	Provide support for embedded Presentation Fragments

As for the modifications and/or adaptions that were discussed, this
detail may be better left to subcommittee tug-of-war.  Suggest we
concentrate on the what, before the how.

Thanks.
Monica J. Martin
Program Manager
Drake Certivo, Inc.
208.585.5946

-----Original Message-----
From: Eilon Reshef
Sent: Wed 5/8/2002 3:38 PM
To: 'Sean Fitts'; wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [wsia][wsia-requirements][R602]

	My thought was around people that use scripts like this:

	<script>
	var target = "http://"; + gMyDomain + "/mypage.rgb?page=" +
document.form[1].pageNumber.value;

	document.location = targert;
	</script>

	My intent was to formulate a part of the requirement that
clearly states that WSIA cannot expect Consumers to automatically
rewrite this action to point back to the Consumer.

	Does this make sense as the intent of this part of the
requirement?

	As for a proposed solution, one can consider three options:
	1. Disallow such cases and other such constructs (which is
always the last resort).
	2. Define a meta-language that does not require changes to the
script (assuming it's a script that was written beforehand), and tries
to capture the replacement locations externally (a-la adaptation).
However, the halting problem (;-) does argue that there will still be
cases that the external language won't be able to address.
	3. Ensure that enough information is passed to the Producer so
that when it either writes new applications or when it needs to adapt
cases like this, it would be technically possible.

	Any thoughts?

	Eilon