Subject: [wsia] Re: [wsrp][interfaces] separate administration interface

Alejandro writes:

"An administration interface, decoupled from the UI, would also enable
integration with management frameworks. As I've mentioned before, there
is a proposal for a Management Services TC."

I think the topic of programmatic access to a Producer's configuration is a
key problem which relates, however, not only to "design time" use as in
Administration, but also extends into the ability of the Consumer to drive
Producer state in the midst of user interaction.

In particular, the Customization use case of WSIA calls for the Consumer to
be able to read and write Producer properties as a parallel channel of
interaction to the output fragment and action interfaces.  The approach is
essentially to expose the "model" side of the Producer, i.e. its
Producer-specific metadata, to allow Consumer access for Customization and
Coordination across Producers.

The net requirement is, I think, already met in the Joint Interfaces draft
spec by allowing for Producer properties to be included on action
invocations, and for return messages from the Producer to include property
changes as well as markup.  There are, in addition, separate get/set
properties operations on the joint interfaces to support state changes
outside of a specific end-user interaction.

I'm not arguing that these proposals are necessarily complete, just that we
should understand that the requirement for configuring Producer state
extends into runtime and is not just an Administration issue.

Charlie