Subject: RE: [wsia] Sessions

Eilon - thank you very much for your overview.
I think that the scenarios match well with the proposed interface. However
there are some differences:
- you describe the reasons why web applications should transfer tranient
data rather in the request parameters than in the session (multiple browser
windows). In the WSRP case this is not applicable because multiple portlets
can be aggegated on one single page to which only one single client request
is issued. So the portlets only have the option to use the session to store
data in. This is not true however for the action case. As the target of an
action is well defined (only one target portlet is possible), parameters
can be attached to this request.
- your comment that WSRP should not enforce a session sharing model
(resulting in conclusion 1) is aligned with the current interface state.
The draft spec allows for explicit session creation and thus leverages the
option to have one session per logical group or one session per provider
- I would agree to Conclusion 2 as well. There's nothing we should do in
WSRP in this context.

Best regards
Carsten Leue

-------
Dr. Carsten Leue
Dept.8288, IBM Laboratory Böblingen , Germany
Tel.: +49-7031-16-4603, Fax: +49-7031-16-4401

|         |           "Eilon Reshef"    |
|         |           <eilon.reshef@webc|
|         |           ollage.com>       |
|         |           06/17/2002 05:32  |
|         |           PM                |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           "Eilon Reshef"    |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       Carsten Leue/Germany/IBM@IBMDE, "'wsia'" <wsia@lists.oasis-open.org>, "'WSRP'" <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>,                 |
  |        <wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.org>, <wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org>                                                             |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  RE: [wsia] Sessions                                                                                                         |

Carsten and team,

Attached are some additional thoughts on sessions - in particular how
people may want to use sessions in a different way that I am not sure works
very  well with our current approach.

Eilon