-----Original Message-----
From: David Hull [mailto:dmh@tibco.com]
Sent: Friday, Jun 18, 2004 10:37 AM
Cc: wsn@lists.oasis-open.org

Patil, Sanjay wrote:

Hi David, perhaps it's just me, but I still do not understand the issue here.

Specifically --
 a> how the capability to modify Subscriptions relates to where the filtering and routnigs are done, and
Suppose distribution is through a tree of brokers.   Each tree node knows what topics its children are interested in, and subscribes to those topics from its parent, and so on up to the original producer.  Suppose consumers A and B belong to broker 1 and consumer C belongs to broker 2. Both A and B are subscribed to topic foo, but nothing belonging to broker 2 is.

Now change the subscription for consumer A to point to consumer C.  We can't just move broker 1's foo subscription atomically to broker 2, because consumer B still needs foo.  So broker 2 has to open a new subscription (or add foo to the list of topics on its existing one).  Then broker 1 and broker 2 have to coordinate to be sure that any foo message both get goes to only one of consumer A and consumer C.  Just for fun, suppose that consumer B's subscription is canceled while this is happening.  Broker 1 still can't let go of the subscription until it knows that broker 2's subscription is established.

When a tree node has to know about nodes other than its parent and children, it's no longer in a tree.

Note that these issues arise from changing the destination of a subscription.  Changing the filtering or policy for an existing subscription, without changing the consumer, may not be a major issue.
 b> how making Subscriptions immutable solves the problem (which I hope to understand once you answer a>)
It doesn't so much solve the problem as put it out of scope and make it explicit that duplicate or possibly even dropped messages are a possibility.

Thanks,
Sanjay