wsn message

Subject: Re: [wsn] Comparison of WSN and WS-Eventing

Here are some relevant threads from the email archive.  There has been quite a bit of debate over this, but the bolded link below is a fairly objective summary.  The posts you're replying to complement this and update it.  The other threads may provide interesting background on the overall debate.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsn/200405/msg00052.html (the first salvo -- argues against coupling WSN to WSRF, specifically mentions WSE).
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsn/200406/msg00007.html (discusses get/set properties vs. bespoke methods)
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsn/200406/msg00091.html (the actual analysis of WSN dependencies on WSRF)
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsn/200407/msg00001.html (draft of WS-BaseNotificaton without reference to WSRF)

chris.hipson@bt.com wrote:

Apologies for the delay in making this comment.

As an extensive user of web services and publish / subscribe mechanisms there is obvious benefit to having a single standard solution for ‘notification’ rather then two very similar specifications, so we’d support the idea of investigating the merger of WSE/WSN.

I personally suspect however that the biggest difference between WSE / WSN from a WSE authors perspective is WSN’s dependency on WS-RF?  I know that questions have been raised about this in the TC already.  Has anyone done a quick analysis of what WS-RF brings to WSN and the potential impact of its removal?

Chris Hipson

Web Services Integration Team - British Telecom