wsn message

Subject: RE: [wsn] AI from telecon 10/11

Thanks Steve. This looks good except that the MAY should not be capitalize. A capitalized MAY means that our spec gives the authorization to the XML processors to modify the namespace declarations. We do no such thing, we just warn readers that someone else (namely XML namespaces) gives them this authorization and the reader should be aware of this. So it should read instead: "Some XML processors may modify the namespace declarations"

Regards,

William

From: Steve Graham [mailto:sggraham@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 10:37 AM
To: wsn@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsn] AI from telecon 10/11

I took an AI to suggest resolution text to the proposed problem:
>Problem with the use of namespace prefixes in topic and selector expressions. Client tooling may modify the the >prefixes used
>in a web service request, so prefixes used in these expressions may become unbound. Igor has observed a similar >problem in WS-E[6]

I propose the resolution be as follows:
For each message exchange that describes a component that may include a QName embedded in a string, the following normative text be included in the description of that component:

If the value of the component contains QNames, then the namespace declarations that specify the mapping of the QName's prefix to an actual namespace URI can be found amongst any namespace declaration in scope for the component.  Note: Some XML processors MAY modify the namespace declarations. Designers should be aware that such transforms exist and may render the expression incoherent, as it is likely the change in namespace declaration will not update a QName embedded within a string.

sgg
++++++++
Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)