wsn message

Subject: Re: [wsn] Open issues concerning ordering and interleaving.

Hi David:

David Hull <dmh@tibco.com> wrote on 01/13/2005 11:55:19 AM:

> For simplicity, assume there are only two topics in the world, topic A and topic B,
> and that a topic expression may specify any combination of them.  Events are
> generated in a given order, and we should at least guarantee that, for a given
> topic, the NP submits events for delivery in the order in which they were
> generated.  The issues here concern whether we should have policy utterances to
> describe stronger guarantees.
>
> Suppose that topic A carries notifications A1, A2 and A3, and similarly topic A
> carries notifications B1, B2 and B3.  At the very least, we guarantee that A1 will
> arrive before A2, etc.

Is there indeed such a guarantee?  How can we make this guarantee, independent of
certain assumptions of QOS in the transport?

>  The first issue is what to do if there is some inherent ordering
> across these event streams.  E.g., each carries a timestamp from an external
> reference clock.

Or, perhaps a simpler, monotonically increasing sequence number on the notificaiton
messages?

>  In this case, A1 might be marked as occurring before (or after)
> event B1, and the "correct" order of notifications might be [A1, B1, B2, A2, A3,
> B3].  Should we provide a way of flagging these situations, or should we leave that
> as application dependent.

My choice would be to leave this as application dependent.  There may be some naturally
occurring sequence number (CBE, for example, has naturally occuring creation time attribute).

> The second issue comes up when there is no externally-defined ordering across
> topics.  Should the NP impose one?

IMO, no.  Again, leave the application to define this.  CBE will have timestamp, I am
not keen on making the WSN specs more complicated.