wsn message

Subject: Re: [wsn] Draft Minutes, 13 June 2005

David

Thank you for taking these minutes. I have just one comment. In the
exchange on the URL rename, I think William's "Good luck with that" was in
response to my question about whether we could get the OASIS web site to
set the MIME type. I suggest adding my comment as follows...

Peter: Observation:  As a result of new URLs and location, locations will
not have .wsdl or .xsd.  So you may have to rename to make your tooling
happy.  RF is happy with this.  Are we happy?
Sgg: Rational(TM) can handle this if MIME type is present.
Peter:Could we get the OASIS site to set the required MIME type?
William: Good luck with that.
Peter: We're OK with this, right?
William: Alignment with RF is good.

Peter Niblett

             David Hull
             <dmh@tibco.com>
             13/06/2005 19:17          wsn@lists.oasis-open.org
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [wsn] Draft Minutes, 13 June 2005

Roll Call:
      We are quorate (60%)
Minute taker:
      David Hull
Approval of minutes from 6/6:
Peter: Question from Tom re: AI 97.

Peter has posted email clarifying. Pointer to clarification will be
incorporated into minutes. Approved subject to this modification.
Action items review
AI 56 - Sid/Igor: Fix typos in WS-Topics
Neither is present.  No update.

AI 74 - BaseN editors to correct problems in implementation of issue 2.34
Bryan believes WSDL and schema are now in sync.  Closed.

AI 79 - Lily to propose new issue and solution outside BaseN to replace
2.26
Still open.

AI 81 - Chairs to recruit editors for the primer
Not a burning issue.  Still open.

AI 82 - Spec editors to incorporate content from the white paper
Done for BaseN.
Topics editors not available.
Lily: Partially done for Brokered, need to double-check.
Peter: Brokered looks done.  Should check as per issue verification
process.
Done for BaseN, Brokered.  Still open for WS-Topics.

AI 85 - WS-Topics editors to respond to questions raised in Kato-san's
email regarding use of terms TopicPath, TopicExpression
TopicPathExpression, and the names of the related Faults.
Editors not here.

AI 93 WS-Topics editors: Edits/improvements to WS-Topics raised by Ian
Springer.
Editors not here.

AI 96 - Chairs to create calendar entry for september F2F
Closed.

AI 97 - Editors to update the status text in all specs. See process doc
BaseN and Brokered copied in WSRF text, but this is not quite what's in
process doc ("that" vs. "the").  Specs will be updated.  AI remains open.

AI 99 - Editors to move to new format for namespace URIs
Done for BaseN, Brokered.  Topics editors not here.

AI 103 - Chairs to send list of acknowledgements and ask if people want to
be added/removed.
Progressing.  Remains open.

AI 104 - Chairs to produce list of reviewers for CDs
Remains open (need to do brokered?)

AI 106 - BaseN editors to delete Version f line 522 sentence "element MUST
accept all NotificationMessages "
Bryan: Done.
Peter: Done as AI, still needs to be verified.  AI can be closed.

AI 109 - Bryan to clarify new para "The NP MUST respond with ..." in the
description of wsnt:Filter/wsnt:TopicExpression/@Dialect.
Bryan: Made some changes, still needs to be verified.
Peter: AI to be closed (issue to be verified).

AI 110 - Peter to email DaveH about DaveH's concern w/ incomplete
separation between BaseN and Topics.
Done.
Dmh: would like to discuss separation a bit more.

AI 111 - Peter to email DaveH about DaveH's concern w/ cardinality of
useRaw
Done.
Dmh: fine with that.

AI 112 - Peter, Tom, Bryan to review and suggest alternatives via emails
for section 2 (terminology and concepts) of BaseN
Comments forthcoming.  Still open.

AI 113 - Peter to add AI82 to verification list
Done.

AI 114 - Peter to update process document w/ correct format for doc ID and
URLs
Done.

AI 115 - Editors to remove references to WS-Notif primer
Bryan: Done for BaseN.
Lily: Done for Brokered.
Topics editors not present.

Separation of Topics and Base:
William(?): Aren't there already issues open for this?
Peter: Issues 2.1, 2.52.  Two questions: Technically, are they now
separate?  Structural: Should the docs be separated?
Dmh: Separating structural makes the first question very easy to answer.
Peter: If an NP is-a resource, it has to have FixedTopicSet.  You can use
that to tell if topics are enabled.
Dmh: This is broadening the meaning of FixedTopicSet, unequal basis with
other extensions.
Peter & Steve: Discussion of default values.
Dmh: How would this sort of thing apply to other extensions?
Peter: Topics isn't just another extension.
Dmh: How is optional feature different from extension?
Sgg: Extensions aren't specified at all.
Dmh: Point.
Peter: Could FixedTopicSet be optional (minOccurs=0, default is true)?
Dmh: So it will never be undefined (always true or false).
Peter, dmh, sgg: This is in line with the behavior for extensions/options
in general.
Peter: Making FTS optional seems good, even if it doesn't resolve the whole
issue of separation.
Sgg: Should be made part of resolution to 2.1.
AI Sanjay: Update resolution of 2.1 to including making FixedTopicSet
optional with default of true.
Peter: Larger issue: Moving topic stuff to WS-Topics.
Sgg: Splits port type across two specs.  Not keen on it.
Dmh: Would make BaseN look more like WSE.
William: Would need two port types.
Bryan: Could leave GetCurrentMessage in BaseN.  Without topic it means
"last message produced by NP", as for subscription with no filters.
William: Doesn't GCM apply to other filters?
Peter: No mechanism for it.
Bryan: GSM is associated with a subscription.
Others: No.
Bryan: So with no topics, you just get the last message for that NP (as per
a subscription with no filter).
Peter: GCM is independent of any subscription.  You specify a topic.  You
get back the last notification for that topic.
Dmh: So one alternative would be to broaden to include any filter.
William, Sgg: Would be hard to implement/limit scope (would NP have to
remember all previous messages?)
Bryan(?): Same issue exists with topics.
Dmh: Yep.
Peter: Topic gives nice finite limitation.
Sgg: NP doesn't have to cache if it doesn't want to.
Dmh: That would apply generally as well.
Peter: NP knows topics ahead of time.  Not so with arbitrary filters.
Dmh: So NP can refuse to answer.
William: If we don't change GCM, then GCM should move (if we move).
Peter: Problems: port type split, close to the wire.
Dmh: Sympathetic to that.
Peter: Might do split during public review.
William: That's permissible.
Dmh: Wanted explicit discussion of the issue, what it entails, feeling for
whether it's bad, good but not worth it, or definely worth doing.
William: Do you feel you have that.
Dmh: Pretty much.
(discussion of consensus)
Consensus: Go to CD as is, consider split as a possibility after CD.

URL changes in line with WSRF
Peter: Observation:  As a result of new URLs and location, locations will
not have .wsdl or .xsd.  So you may have to rename to make your tooling
happy.  RF is happy with this.  Are we happy?
Sgg: Rational(TM) can handle this if MIME type is present.
William: Good luck with that.
Peter: We're OK with this, right?
William: Alignment with RF is good.

Editors' updates from BaseN and Brokered.
BaseN
Bryan: Copied in Steve's proposal.  Should have addressed all issues.
Sgg: There has been feedback from reviewers.
Peter: 4 verified as correct.  5 have led to comments from reviewers.
Bryan: Still minor changes, but all the issues have been addressed.
Bryan, Sgg: Hold off version (k) until reviews are in.
Sgg: Could chair gently remind reviewers of this.
Peter: Volunteers for 1.4 review?  Not really.  Will draw straws.
William: My email at paypal.com is ...

Brokered
Lily: Version (f) uploaded.  All issues should be addressed, except 1
missing bit in terminology part.  Will upload revision.
Peter: Can we assign reviewers?
Lily: Believe so.
Peter: Chairs will assign reviewers.

Other Business
William: Other business, other than imploring reviewers to review?  Want to
finish public review before F2F?
Peter: Will we have the full time for the next call?
Omnes: Yes.

Adjourned

- Status of editors

- Status of reviewers