wsn message

Subject: Re: [wsn] Boxcarring and reliability

Title: Message
Martin Chapman wrote:
well i think ws-n should define boxcar messages as being delivered atomically, otherwise we have to define our own dissasembly/reassembly mechanism and I for one don't want to go there!
I agree on "don't go there", especially at this stage of the game.  At this point we probably just note and go on.

I would hope that with both boxcarring and polling we migrate from home-grown solutions (i.e., pull points and boxcarring in Notify) to more general solutions.  As I understand it, WS-Polling has notification in mind.  Last time I looked at it, it only allowed messages to be pulled out one at a time, but if it could be composed with boxcarring ...

Martin.
-----Original Message-----
From: David Hull [mailto:dmh@tibco.com]
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 5:56 PM
To: Martin Chapman
Cc: wsn@lists.oasis-open.org

Martin Chapman wrote:
Boxcarring means that notify messages are bundled in a single soap
message. ws-rx works at the soap level so it doesn’t need to know about
boxcarring of notify messages.

Right.  So it looks not to be the tool I'd need if I wanted each notification to have its own delivery status.

The question is not so much what WS-RX does, but what semantics should we define.  In particular, are we producing and delivering SOAP envelopes or notifications?  Naturally, I lean toward the latter.

FWIW, I'm more and more convinced that there should be some sort of SOAP-level boxcarring standard that allows multiple SOAP envelopes to be sent transparently in a single wrapper (most likely itself a SOAP envelope).  This should be able to compose with the other WS-*, so that it would be possible to acknowledge individual messages that happened to travel in the same wrapper (or authorize/authenticate each separately, or re-route them to different places, or whatever).
Martin.