wsn message

Subject: Re: [wsn] Groups - wsn-ws-brokered_notification-1.3-spec-pr-02.doc (wsn-ws-brokered_notification-1.3-spec-pr-02.doc) uploaded

Lily
Thank you very much for making these changes and posting the draft.

I have a few further comments (line numbers as in your draft)

Line 181. There is an unnecessary comma before the word 'by'

Lines 299 and 306. You could hyphenate the phrase "broker-initiated" like
you do for "demand-based"

Line 321/322. The sentence now reads "To use this pattern, the Publisher
must register with the NotificationBroker,of the intent to provide
demand-based publishing only. " This reads strangely to me, I think there
are three things that worry me about it:

a) we should avoid the word "must" because of its RFC 2119 meaning

b) we should avoid the word "provide" since demand-based publishing is a
cooperative thing - and is provided by a combination of the Publisher and
the NotificationBroker

c) the meaning of the word "only" at the end. I'm not sure what this is
trying to say - I think it is trying to say that if a Publisher registers
with demand = true then the broker won't get any messages from it unless it
subscribes, but that isn't 100% clear.

I suggest rewording as 'A Publisher indicates that intends to use this
pattern by registering with the NotificationProducer,  setting the Demand
component of the RegisterPublisher request message to "true".'

Line 345. Sentence currently reads "The NotificationBroker does not specify
any subscription durability or continuity." However NotificationBrokers
don't really specify things. How about "A NotificationBroker is not
required to provide any specific subcscription durability or continuity"?

Line 348 . "If it does so, NotificationBrokers SHOULD advertise these
features, either through policies or other means." Can you change to say
"If they do so..."

Line 500. Sentence "ConsumerReference is a WS-Addressing endpoint reference
to a NotificationConsumer that accepts to notifications from this
registered Publisher." This isn't connected to the previous sentence, so
you could use it to start a new paragraph. Also can you remove the word
'to' please?

Lines 532/537 appear in red for some reason.

Line 680 The WSN 3.31 changes look ok, except for the bit at the end where
you need to change  /wsn-br:TopicExpression into /wsn-br:Topic

Line 683. WSN 2.65 asks you to delete the second sentence of this paragraph
 - the one that says "To terminate a PublisherRegistration resource, a
requestor MUST send a DestroyRegistration request message to the
PublisherRegistrationManager." - since there are other ways in which this
can be done.

I have found a few other things (I'll add these to the improvements/errata
doc)

Line 146 [XML Infoset] should be [XML-Infoset] in order to match section 9

Line 376 "For some Topics (those that require a Publisher to pre-register),
the sender must be a registered Publisher in order to successfully publish
a Notification on the given Topic (see 6.1)." This suggests that an
approach whereby the broker enforces pre-registration selectively by Topic.
While the spec doesn't forbid this, it doesn't provide a mechanism to do
this - and the RequiresRegistration RP applies to all publishers
irrespective of Topic. I suggest you reword as "The NotificationBroker may
require that a Publisher be registered before the Publisher sends it a
Notification (see 6.1)"

Line 444 "An OPTIONAL endpoint reference.." . The word OPTIONAL is not
being used as defined in RFC 2119. Can you delete just the word OPTIONAL?
It will still make sense and the rest of the paragraph makes it clear that
this epr can be omitted.

Line 457 must->MUST

Line 497 "The NotificationBroker MUST return a
PublisherRegistrationReference and may return a ConsumerReference in the
response to the RegisterPublisher request." The use of the word "may" is
not being used as defined in RFC 2119 (i.e. there are circumstances in
which the ConsumerReference MUST be returned). I suggest deleting the bit
about ConsumerReference (since we are going to talk about that at the end
of the paragraph anyway) so that this sentence reads "The
NotificationBroker MUST return a PublisherRegistrationReference in the
response to the RegisterPublisher request."

Line 671 The sentence describing CreationTime “This is an optional
component supporting resource constrained devices that cannot associate a
creation time with PublisherRegistration resources they create” is
confusing, since it sounds as if it is to be used in these
resource-constrained devices (whereas in fact the intention was the
opposite). Reword as “This component MAY be omitted, for example by
resource-constrained devices that cannot associate a creation time with
PublisherRegistration resources they create”

Line 673 "If PublisherRegistrationManager is exposed as..." should be "If a
PublisherRegistration is exposed as "

Line 683 "publisher registration manager resource" should be
"PublisherRegistration resource"

Finally, could you please

1. Update the document ID, location, footer to
wsn-ws-brokered-notification-1.3-spec-cd-03

2. Update the copyright statement in footer, schema, wsdl and appendix E to
say 2006

Thanks

Peter Niblett

             lily.liu@webmetho
             ds.com
             17/02/2006 22:09          wsn@lists.oasis-open.org
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [wsn] Groups -
                                       wsn-ws-brokered_notification-1.3-sp
                                       ec-pr-02.doc
                                       (wsn-ws-brokered_notification-1.3-s
                                       pec-pr-02.doc) uploaded

The document named wsn-ws-brokered_notification-1.3-spec-pr-02.doc
(wsn-ws-brokered_notification-1.3-spec-pr-02.doc) has been submitted by Dr
Lily Liu to the OASIS Web Services Notification (WSN) TC document
repository.

Document Description:
Updated the specification (1.3 pr 02) according to suggestions from the
errata document.

View Document Details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsn/document.php?document_id=16740

Download Document:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsn/download.php/16740/wsn-ws-brokered_notification-1.3-spec-pr-02.doc

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email
application
may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to copy and
paste

-OASIS Open Administration