wsrf-comment message

Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: dave.mcalpin@epok.net

Name: Dave McAlpin
Regarding Specification: WS-ResourceProperties Sections 5.2 through 5.4

1. Would be nice to define a OperationNotSupported fault for everything except GetResourceProperty.

2. Line 566. I don't think the "MAY" there is used in the normative sense and thus probably shouldn't be capitalized.

3. Line 580-587. This text suggests that if the requestor asks for a resource property and that resource property element is not defined with minOccurs="0", it must be returned. But isn't it possible that the requestor doesn't have permission to access one or more of the properties he's asked for? In that case, must the WS-Resource fail the entire request?

4. Line 590. Wouldn't it be better to specify that it MUST terminate with a InvalidResourcePropertyQName fault?

5. Line 677. Shouldn't Dialect="URI" be something like Dialect="xsd:anyURI"?

6. Line 700. It seems inappropriate to make an apparently normative reference to a work in progress. Typically, the mention of XPath 2.0 would be accompanied by a link to section 9. It's an odd omission here, but if you'd included it, wouldn't it necessarily go to an entry in 9.1? And wouldn't including a work in progress in in section 9.1 be wrong by definition? I know this issue was recently debated in terms of WSDM and that spec was promoted to an OASIS standard in spite of strong objections. You therefore may have a precedent to rely on, but I still think this use of a working draft is wrong.

7. Line 752. "When a portType includes the definition of the QueryResourceProperties operation, it MUST also include a reference to the wsrf-rp:QueryExpressionDialect Resource Property." Does a port type include a definition of QueryResourceProperties? Does a port type include a reference to the wsrf-rp:QueryExpressionDialect Resource Property? I'm not entirely sure what's intended here, but I'm guessing you mean that if a WS-Resource exposes the QueryResourceProperties operation, the resource properties document referenced by the portType MUST include wsrf-rp:QueryExpressionDialect as a resource property element. In other words, wsrf-rp:QueryExpressionDialect is a required resource property element on any resource properties document that may be accessed via the QueryResourceProperties operation. Is that right?