Subject: Re: [wsrf] issue 127 - : MUST use RAP?

The WS-RAP text regarding the requirement that a resource resource
identifier MUST appear as part of the message is important as is the
requirement that WS-Resources MUST use WS-RAP when implementing the WS-RF
protocol messages. This is the normative means by which such protocol
messages can be interoperably targetted at specific WS-Resources (i.e
endpoints with specific RPDoc instances), since the protocol messages do
not themselves explicitly pass resource identifiers. From an
interoperability perspective, the WS-Resource spec defers to the
application and its compliance with WS-Addressing to define how and where
in the message that identifier appears and the form that the identifier
takes.

We have discussed the so-called "singleton resource" case before. In this
case the address of the WS-Resource is sufficient to identify the resource
and so the resource identifier may appear as part of (or as the entirety
of) the wsa:Address element information item of the endpoint reference, as
mentioned in section 2.4 of WS-Resource. The resource identifier (i.e the
information required to distinguish the resource) still appears in the
message in the wsa:Address serialization - for example, in a SOAP message
this is the wsa:To header. Earlier drafts of the WS-Resource specification
(prior to the Oct 2004 F2F) had a specific example of such an "embodiment"
for the singleton pattern. I think it would be useful to resurrect that
information in the AppNotes to specifically deal with the singleton pattern
case, but if we do that it should be a separate consideration from issue
127.

Regards,
Ian Robinson
STSM, WebSphere Messaging and Transactions Architect
IBM Hursley Lab, UK
ian_robinson@uk.ibm.com

             David Snelling
             <David.Snelling@U
             K.Fujitsu.com>                                             To
                                       WSRF <wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org>
             07/08/2005 20:02                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [wsrf] issue 127 - : MUST use
                                       RAP?

Folks,

Ian's proposal I believe addresses the issue a stated. We can go with
it but I think we should look at a few options before jumping in.

My understanding is that, when reduced to its most fundamental, the
only normative aspect of the WS-Resource Access Pattern is that the
identification of the target resource MUST appear in the *message*.

Note that since the resource (or a factory for it) provides the
reference to the resource, this normative statement is not strictly
required for interoperability. For example, if as a WS-Resource I
provide only a URL and do not require my identifier to appear in the
*message*, any client with my WSDL and this URL can contact me. I don't
see an interoperability need for the identifier to appear in the
*message*. The address alone should be sufficient.

We should consider dropping this requirement, as it would allow the
WSRF specs to compose more easily with other specifications.

Note: I am not opposed to Ian's proposal, I just would like to know it
it is actually required.

Thoughts?

--

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE