Subject: RE: [wsrf] Thoughts of Issue 127

Hi Dave,

I am confused. I though we had a motion, a second and a call for
objection (that didn't get any objection) on removing RAP and instead
mandating the use of WS-Addressing. So this motion passed and the
decision was made, wasn't it?

Regards,

William

-----Original Message-----
From: David Snelling [mailto:David.Snelling@UK.Fujitsu.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 3:46 AM
To: WSRF
Subject: [wsrf] Thoughts of Issue 127

Folks,

Following the call on Monday, which got a bit out of hand - sorry, I did
a little thinking from both a technical and a process perspective.

First, from a process perspective. The issue as stated in the Public
Comment has to do with the normative nature of the use of RAP. The
answer to this in the spec as it stands is clearly YES. I do agree with
the questioner, who found the current state of both specs leaving
something to be desired. I also think Ian's proposal more that
adequately addresses this issue.

Also from a process perspective, there seemed to be a potential new
issue raised wrt removing the WS-Resource spec from WSRF. Until this is
proposed formally we should not spend any more time on it. Note there
are normative statements in WS-Resource as well as conceptual material
that would need to be duplicated in other specs. I don't think this is a
good idea.

Second, from a technical perspective. On careful reading, the Public
Comment on Issue 127 does not re-raise the issue wether a resource
access pattern is required. However, I felt that it was behind the
questioner's thinking and so open the email discussion on this aspect.
I personally feel that WSRF could stand without requiring a resource
access pattern and optionally compose with WS-Addressing, but the TC has
already resolved this issue. I will not reopen it. [Although it almost
happened by accident on Monday :-)]

I suggest that we close down Issue 127 as Ian proposed and get on with
the other issues at hand, including how we plan to achieve quorum at the
next F2F.

Talk to you all on the 22nd.

--

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE