Subject: Re: [wsrm] Assumptions of the Transport Protocol Layer

Tom,

I slightly disagree in a few of the details you provided.  Please see
below, most of which is additional food for thought.

On 11-04-2003 13:13, Tom Rutt wrote:
> At the last WSRM TC meeting we initiated discussion on the assumptions
> the requirements should make on the Transport Protocol capabilities.
>
> It was stated that the Co-sponsors assumed TCP under HTTP.
I think it was stated that we assumed a protocol at least that good, not
necessarily exactly that configuration.

> There were some statements that TCP connections give flow control, and
> sequencing capabilties already.
>
> However, we need to address reliability at the app to app level.
Or, in a message and not packet granularity.

> Even if the http layer implements use of Persistent TCP connections, the
> sending app does not know if the receiving app received the message
> successfuly, when the TCP layer signals a connection failure.
In some cases, this is a toolkit problem.  Most HTTP toolkits hide TCP
level detail, such as where in the outbound or inbound stream the system
encountered an error, from the application.  The other part of this
issue comes back to the intermediates expected in future SOAP
deployments.  TCP reliability gets packets from one point to another but
does not help with end to end assurances except as it reduces the
frequency of problems.

> Another concern is that the WS-RM sender may use more than one TCP
> connection for its  outgoing message sequences.   Thus, when sequences
> of sent messages span multiple transport connections, the messages can
> arrive out of sequence, or succeeding on one message while failing on a
> subsequent message.
Issues with ordering dependencies also arise with unpredictable
store-and-forward intermediaries.  On the other hand, we need a clear
use case for handling multiple outstanding (unacknowledged) requests in
parallel.  This use case doesn't exist in the WS-Reliability starting
point though we did do technical work on a solution.

thanx,
	doug