Subject: Re: [wsrm] NEC Position on WS-RM flow/congestion control due tonetwork overload

A quick question for all on this conclusion.  (I also agree but that
isn't the point of this email :)

I'm thinking TCP has to address requirements that may not be as much an
issue for our specification.  We in the WS-RM TC are dealing with
reliability under a message-passing paradigm while TCP development was
focused on a connection-oriented architecture.  We don't have to worry
as much about the downsides of breaking a particular connection.  That
is, breaking a WS-RM "connection" is a perfectly reasonable server
response to overload.

However, the mechanisms proposed for reliability (the overall
acknowledgment paradigm) in this TC have the *effect* of reducing both
network and server load.  WS-RM message senders should not immediately
attempt to restore broken connections, giving the server a chance to
recover.  This is especially true when retries frequency rates are set
reasonably and / or when backoff algorithms are used.

Should our final specification point out the effect retry timing and
backoff algorithms have on server and network overload?  Just a
non-normative note or an explicit description of applicable backoff
algorithms and a RECOMMENDATION (in 2119 terms) for their use?

thanx,
	doug