Subject: Re: [wsrm] Preliminary minutes of WSRM TC Conf call -050603

Paolo Romano wrote:

> >4.4      REL-11 MESSAGE ID AND GROUPID/SEQUENCENO
> ..
> >Paulo stated that having two identifiers (such as groupID, sequenceNO) is
> >needed for several groups of messages with dependencies. Messages ordered
> >by groups is a use case we have often. He also would prefer one id
> >mechanism, but it could be a struct with groupID
>
> I guess I must have missed a "not" in the yesterday phone call...
> Actually, I can't imagine many common use cases where between two end
> points it is necessary to have simoultaneously multiple groups of messages

 I think this is a common use case. Take the case of Sender A processing
 purchase orders for 2 different customers ('x' & 'y) simultaneously.  It likes to
 talk to Receiver B (a Warehouse company) in different steps, say, first
 like do a inventory check, then a credit check, and finally an order. Sender
 would like to create a group for each customer and hence there could be
 2 simultaneous group exchanges between node A and node B.

 That said, I agree that we should avoid having 2 different primary keys.
 However, I'm not in favor of Doug's proposal on the call regarding
 "depends on" concept. The problems I see there are:
 i)   RM processors will act then as a  mini Workflow processors - we don't
       want to get into workflow stuff :)
 ii) Could potentially have cyclical dependencies if not spec-ed out
      properly.
 iii) Concept of one universal group preempts vendors doing implementation
      optimizations such as removing the message content (not the metadata)
      from the persistence store once the 'group' is complete.

 Some random thoughts how to achieve this are:
 i) Get rid of MId and have GId/Sid set. Gid could be optional & SId
    is mandatory. If Gid is present, SId is the unique in that GId. If not,
    SId should be globally unique.
 ii) Or, always mandate GId/SId and have a different semantics for
      GId '0'. GId '0' should be considered un-ordered sequences.

 Thoughts???

 -Sunil