Subject: Resend with edits: [wsrm] Thoughts on WS-RM configuration parameters

All

Here is the original mail, which I  provide in-line comments IN CAPS/ UPPER CASE

alan
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Weissberger" <ajwdct@technologist.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:43:46 -0500
To: wsrm@lists.oasis-open.org

> All
>
> Even though we agree that SLA/ configuration management protocol and mechanisms are outside scope of WS-RM TC, I believe we should atleast list the parameters in an Appendix of our spec, along with suggested default values (we might even chose to recommend ranges of values for the parameters)
>
> Here is a preliminary list of Configuration parameters that the WS-RM sender and receiver should agree on prior to SOAP message exchange:

1.  Maximum message lifetime/duration  (determines upper bound on message expiration time)

AW:  MANDATORY PARAMETER TO PREVENT INDEFINITE/ NEVER ENDING MESSAGE EXPIRATION

2.  Maximum message group (or message sequence) lifetime

AW:  MANDATORY PARAMETER TO PREVENT INDEFINITE/ NEVER ENDING MESSAGE SEQUENCE EXPIRATION

3.  Resend interval (SEE REL 47)

AW:  MANDATORY PARAMETER, NEGOTIATED BETWEEN SENDER AND RECEIVER, TO PREVENT TOO LONG OR TOO SHORT RE-TRANSMISSIONS  (SEE NOTE BELOW)
>   - minimum interval: the minimum duration the sender should wait after sending a message
>     and before resending the message. This is AKA Retransmission timer value
>   - Note: we may LATER introduce algorithms to control resend interval (e.g., exponential backoff).

4.  Retransmission count (SEE REL 47)

THIS IS the number of unack'd re-transmsissions the sender makes before declaring an unrecoverable problem WITH THE WS-RM CONNECTION

AW:  LOCAL PARAMETER THAT MAY NOT HAVE TO BE AGREED UPON BY BOTH SENDER AND RECEIVER

5.  Capability exchange: Parameters TBD.
For example: the types of MEPs supported, WS-RM spec options supported, additional transport bindings supported (besides HTTP), message storage persistance classes/ capabilities, recovery actions to be taken on failure and/or failure recovery (power outage, no-ack count expired, crash tolerance, etc).

AW: THIS IS AN OPTIONAL CAPABILITY, DEPENDENT ON A CONFIGURATION/ PARAMETER NEGOTIATION MESSAGE EXCHANGE.  PERHAPS WE CAN LIST THE PARAMETERS TBD THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO SENDER AND/ OR RECEIVER.

 Alan Weissberger
 NEC Labs America
 1 408 863 6042

Alan Weissberger