Subject: RE: [wsrm] Issue: ordering and missing message behavior

Title: RE: [wsrm] Issue: ordering and missing message behavior

To properly answer this question, we need to define precisely
the "ordering contract" between the WS-R node and the receiving application:
when we require message ordering, do we mean:

(1) "the messages that are received by the app, are received in the same order
 as they have been sent".
In which case, a lost message - assuming we consider it as definitely lost, not
just delayed - will not break the ordering ! and your option (b) is acceptable.

(2) "the sequence of message received is the same as the one sent".
In which case, there is no point trying to maintain order if a message is lost,
and option (a) is OK.

The current spec wording  (2.4, first sentence) suggests (1).

The spec probably needs to state more clearly the exact definition and how
failures are handled.

Jacques

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Werden [mailto:scottw@wrq.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 3:53 PM
To: wsrm@lists.oasis-open.org

What is the behavior of a WSRM receiver that is ordering messages and one of
the messages is never received, or at least not within the MET (timeout) of
a subsequent message even though ACKing is being used?

For example: it receives msg #0, #1, #3. The MET for message #3 is 5 minutes
so the receiver cannot wait more that 5 minutes for #2 to arrive. What does
it do when the 5 minutes expires?

(a) Send a fault back to the sender, notify the application, and abort all
further ordering for the group.
(b) Send a fault back, deliver #3 to the app just before it times out, and
continuing ordering all subsequent messages.
(c) Something else?

Scott

You may leave a Technical Committee at any time by visiting http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/members/leave_workgroup.php