Subject: Re: [wsrm] Rel YY

 Jacques,

 Few minor comments inlined:

Jacques Durand wrote:

I would like to summarize what I believe the "amended RelYY" proposal is currently,
so as to make progress on submitting it, as it is one of these features
that is on the critical path of implementors...

- There will be three ways to "sequence" (or not) messages within a group:

(1) when ordering is required:
        GroupId + SequenceNumber + MessageOrder

(2) when ordering is not required, but for other benefits
(here the possibility of fast/space efficient duplicate check)
        GroupId + SequenceNumber

(3) when ordering is not required, but no other use of sequences is desired,
there will be only one message per group, identified by group Id:
        GroupId (and no SequenceNumber element)

Invariant:
- each GroupId is globally unique.
- in both cases (1) and (2) SequenceNumber values must be unique within a group,
and generated as a contiguous sequence (modulo...)
- in both cases (1) and (2), the status attribute on SequenceNumber is allowed values
"Start" "Continue" "End" according to similar rules. (does Doug agree here?)

NOTE1: Sunil did not reintroduce MessageOrder  in his latest schema yet.

 The schema has changes from approved resolutions only. Since
 we haven't decided on this, we didn't include this.

I personally favor this over a lower level way to signal the Ordering feature:
it is more consistent with what we do with AckRequested and DuplicateElimination.
  I thought of another reason why we should use presence of MessageOrder
  element had the trigger for Ordering instead of Seq No. as 0 . Since Ack
  Requested & Duplicate Elimination are implicit in the Ordering case, if
  we don't have the MessageOrder element, then Seq No > 1 will indicate
  implicit DE & Ack Requested. That leads to a convoluted relationship
  between the 2 Header elements (MessageHeader & Request). Where as
  if we use MessageOrder element, it will have an implicit dependency
  on sub-elements within the same Header.

NOTE2: Along the line of what are the rules in using combinations of header elements:
Since the Ordering feature applies to an entire group, and that it is no longer
signaled by the presence of SequenceNumber under this proposal,
should we  consider significant the "MessageOrder" (or whatever signal)
in the first message only of the group?
  For consistency sake, we need to mandate this sub-element in all the Grouped-Ordered
  cases especially when the trigger for Ordering is based on the existence of this
  element.

(or few first ones in case we need to handle the special case of the first one missing / delayed)
otherwise, if we keep a per-message semantics, having a mix of messages with/without such signal
should NOT be allowed in a group. And the question extends to AckRequested and
 Yes we shouldn't allows the mixed mode. A group is completely ordered or un-ordered.
  A mixed mode will be very complicated and un-warranted.
DuplicateElimination,
since these two features are required with Ordering.

 Jacques