Subject: RE: [wsrm] Do we really need GroupMaxIdleTime?

Title: RE: [wsrm] Do we really need GroupMaxIdleTime?

I have tried to address this in the proposal I am about to send...

But I have a problem with giving ExpiryTime any kind of group termination semantics,
as that was not its intent, and this overloading can be confusing.
Plus, the latest refinement proposed at f-2-f for ExpiryTime semantics, which I
like,  really gives it no use after message is received:
- ExpiryTime only indicates the latest date at which an RMP can accept a message.
Once a message is accepted, an "expiring ExpiryTime" has no further meaning or effect on
final outcome.
(the fact it helps to optimize duplicate checks is incidental).

For open-ended groups with neither groupExpiryTime  nor GroupMaxIdleDuration - if we keep
allowing this - I would simply not try to "logically" terminate the group.
Note that a forever-lasting group is not a problem, provided
there is no need to hold infinite out-of-order sequences, (see my proposal for this soon..)
as the memory-size of the state of the group does not increase with the group size.
What may become a memory problem is when too many groups are active.
But here, I'd think implementations must rely on impl-specific safeguards instead, e.g. config.
 (such limits need be enforced anyway in other cases due to memory / resource hard limits).

I still like GroupMaxIdleDuration , which still does not appear to me to cause problem...

Jacques