Subject: Re: [wsrm] Rel 33: some thoughts and proposal...

 Peter,

"Furniss, Peter" wrote:

> Replying to one of Sunil's original points as well as later ones (rather
> than split the thread)

 Sure. My point was we are using the same phrase with the same semantics
 in Message Ordering case also. We currently say that in an Ordered sequence
 case a message is "made available to the user/application" if all the previous
 messages in that sequence are received and Acked.

 And hence I'm re-iterating that this particular issue (usage of words) is not
 specifically tied to Expiry time or REL 50. That doesn't mean that I'm not
 suggesting that it shouldn't be changed.

> > > I think the major differerance that I see is that with the
> > "ack when
> > > made availalble" proposal will result in a message N in an ordered
> > > delivery sequence not being acked until after all messages with
> > > sequence number < N are acked.  Since the sender will
> > understand the
> > > semantics, this will give the correct amount of information to let
> > > them know when they can flush the message from their own retention
> > > mechanisms to guarantee reliability.
> >
> >  Yes, that's correct. And this was the argument I made at the
> > Redwood Shores  F2F when we initially agreed on this semantics.
>
> I don't see how the true sentences in Tom's message link up. For any
> message, the sender
> can flush the message on receipt of the ack - the only requirement on

 Not entirely true. The way REL 52 and 57 are coined, we still need
 to keep the message metadata information (if not the whole message)
 for Acked messages as we are using individual MaxIdleTimes/MsgExpiryTimes
 (max of the individual ones) to compute the Group termination/removal
 conditions. Note that we need this both on the Sender and Receiver side.

 While the new proposal doesn't totally get rid of the problem, it just simplifies it.

> the receiver is that
> it doesn't send the ack until either it has delivered the message or has
> it safe such

 sure. I guess we are all speaking in one voice then. The new proposal
 is more aligned to what you are suggesting here. In the old case,
 a msg. was Acked even when it not ready to be delivered.

> that it will be able to deliver the messsage (if other conditions on
> order and expiry
> mean it is still valid)
>
> A complication with "ack when made available" means that the sender has
> got to guess
> whether the non-arrival of an ack means that the message hasn't been
> safely received
> (and so should be resent) or it is a later message that hasn't been
> received.

 Well this is an Issue which is easily solved by keeping tracking of
 Acks for all previously sent messages in that sequence, which he
 has ought to do it anyway.

> The thing about words was about trying to find a weasel wording that
> could be used by
> an RMP that stores all the messages for later delivery and by making
> counter-intuitive
> statements as to who the user/next-level was could do the reasonable
> thing but still fit
> within the "ack when made available" statement. It would have to say
> that "deliver to the
> user", for the purposes of this requirement, meant "write to saved
> queue" and was distinct
> from the operation of "deliver to the user" which occurred when stuff
> was taken off the
> queue.  But when it was talking about ordering, and probably about
> expiry, "deliver to the user"
> meant taking stuff off the queue.
>
> I don't believe you can use the same phrase for the ordering requirement
> and the ack point

 So what would be your proposal & suggestion  then?