Subject: Re: [wsrm] Task Force Proposal to Resolve Issues Rel 52 and Rel 57

Sorry for the late response.

thanx,
	doug

On 15-Dec-03 11:58, Tom Rutt wrote:

> This is the propsal from myself, Jacques, and Sunil.
> This  proposes exact text changes to resolve the group timing parameter
> semantics.
>
> I propose we can make a motion, on Tuesday, to close these issues.
>
> Please review before the call on Tuesday, and use email to propose any
> changes to the
> text.
>
> ------------------

> c) If guaranteed deliver is requested for the group, subsequent messages
> in the sequence do not need to repeat the group persistence
> parameter. When guaranteed delivery is mandated for the group, it is
> RECOMMENDED that the sender repeats the group persistence parameters in
> each message sent, until the first acknowledgement has been received for
> the group.  The receiver will continue to use the latest received value
> for the parameter chosen by the sender to apply to the group, to serve
> as the trigger for terminating the group. If a subsequent message uses a
> different group parameter than the one used in a prior message or uses a
> group termination parameter not sent on the “start” message for the
> group, an INVALID_GROUP_PARAMETER FAULT MUST be returned.
It is not clear to me that this optimization saves that much.  In fact,
it seems to complicate the protocol.  Why not have a single set of rules
for both guaranteed and not cases, requiring the parameters always be
present?

> d) In any subsequent message the parameter which was sent in the first
> message can be changed by sending a new value.  A new value for
> GroupMaxIdleDuration can either be increased or decreased. The protocol
> allows change (up or down) of GroupExpiryTime, as long as it is never
> less than maxExpiryTimeReceived.
This parameter is never mentioned later.  It seems identical to
"maxExpiryTime received" mentioned below.  Please be consistent.

> e) The sender can explicitly terminate the group by sending a message
> with status value “END”.  This is regardless to whether a group
> termination parameter is in use for the group.
Need a new term besides "terminate" for this case.  The differentiation
mentioned later seems important.

> It is RECOMMENDED that an RMP removes the ID of a singleton message
> (message with GroupId but no SequenceNumber) from its persistent store
> after it expires. However, unlike for singletons, it is RECOMMENDED to
> NOT remove the ID of a message that belongs to a non-singleton group,
> when the message expires. The reason is, message IDs for groups can be
> stored efficiently as intervals of integers.
Why are these recommendations made?  Removal of information that may no
longer be required should be an implementation decision.

> NOTE: When doing duplicate checks for messages of a group, there is no
> loss of performance in checking over all past message IDs of the group,
> whether expired or not. The check will in fact be faster, because not
> discarding expired IDs means fewer intervals to look up.
On the other hand, this may be useful non-normative material.

> A group is complete when all the messages between ‘start’ to ‘end’ are
> received.
It is not at all clear from the discussion in this proposed section and
elsewhere in this proposal whether the 'end' message must be sent.  That
makes everything here ambiguous.