Subject: Prelim minutes of 2/10 teleconference.

The prelim minutes of the 2/10 teleconf are attached.

Please post corrections before friday morning.

Upon reviewing the Jan F2F minutes I realized that Issue Rel76 was
resolved at the f2f  to address the ability to use poll outside of the
poll reply pattern.  However, this resolution has not yet been applied
to the editor's draft..

I suggest that Iwasa reflect the aready agreed resolution of Rel76  (
including the deletion of the last sentence in the definition of poll
request) in the next editor's draft before TC review, since it was
agreed at the F2F.

Title: Draft Agenda to WSRM TC Conference Call – May 06, 2003

Prelim Minutes WSRM TC Conference Call – Feb 10, 2004

The meeting of the WSRM TC took place by teleconference
Tuesday Feb 10 2004, from 5:30 to 6:45 PM Eastern Standard Time
(UTC - 5)

0         Draft Agenda:

Draft Agenda to WSRM TC Conference Call

1 Roll Call

2 Minutes Discussion

2.1 Appointment of Minute Taker

2.2 Approval of previous meeting minutes   http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/5406/MinutesWSRMTC020304.htm

3 Discussion of New Orleans Meeting and Conference papers

4 Discussions of Issues

Agenda approved

1         Roll Call

Attendance:

 Meeting was quorate.

2         Minutes Discussion

2.1      Appointment of Minute Taker

Tom Rutt will take minutes.

Doug will record issue resolutions.

2.2      Approval of previous meeting minutes

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/5406/MinutesWSRMTC020304.htm

Jeff moved to accept the Feb  minutes. Sunil  seconded.

No opposition, 2/4  minutes approved.

Alan sent the following to be included in this week’s minutes as a clarification of last week’s minutes, since it was not properly recorded in the minutes of last week.

New issue:  Ack and Fault Response

Sunil, who had sent mail on this topic, stated that it needs to become a (new) formal issue.  The problem:  If a  Fault message is sent, we don't know the message associated with the fault if multiple messages are outstanding (i.e. unacknowledged).  We need to look at a combination of Fault element and a Response element together.  Proposed solution is to add a "message type field" in the Response message header, which would distinguish the Response as being either an ACK or a Fault response.

Alan suggested another solution: Simply add a message ID field to the Fault message header.  This was rejected by the group, because SOAP 1.2 does not permit Fault messages to contain a message ID field.

Doug then stated, "I am confused by the flurry of emails on this topic (between Iwasa and Sunil).  We previously got rid of message type, because we had a fair number of cases with requests and responses combined in same message.  Now we want to add it back again, reversing our early decision to remove it?  It is not currently clear what the  spec implies."

Sunil replied that without this (the message type in the Response header), it copmplicates things further...

    * Hence, we could not resolve this issue, and are leaving it open for now- subject to more emails on the reflector.

Alan Weissberger

3         Discussion of New Orleans Meeting and Conference

Tom stated he told the OASIS staff that we wanted to meet all day Wednesday, and Thursday morning for our F2F.  As soon as this is verified, Tom will send a message on the email list so people can confirm their plans.

Jacques sent proposal in.

Jacques stated he found a hotel that is cheaper.  Baronne plaza.

4         Discussion of remaining Action Items from F2F meeting

4.1      Message ID text

Iwasa needs to reflect the changes requested by Tom and Sunil

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/wsrm/200402/msg00038.html

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/wsrm/200402/msg00047.html

5         Discussion of Issues

5.1      Issue 49 WSDL Annotation

Defer Issue 49 discussion to next week.  Oracle needs time to prepare a fully enabling proposal for discussion

5.2      Rel 114 - Ack and Fault Response Contents

Sunil summarized the current proposal.

He send an email to justify the proposal.  Their implementation people feel it is important.

Attribute, for response type, with two values ack and fault, defaulting to Ack.

Tony, need to consider Soap 1.2 case before coming too strongly.

Tom We did agree.

With poll reply pattern, there is no way to get a fault back.

Doug: how do you get back errors.  Suppose message 4 is malformed, and the poll reply is in use one does not know why.

Sunil: We decided before that all a poll delivers is knowledge is that the message is not received.  There is no way to get the reason.

Doug: I am not sure from a business prospective that it is required that the poll reply pattern is fully functional.  At the moment it is missing some necessary features to be fully functional.

Open a new issue, Functionality of poll reply pattern. Issue 115.  Discuss on email.

Tony graham will start discussion on email.

Name would be Type, Default value would be ack.

Tony: I would rather Defer the resolution to next week.

Agree: To keep the issues open.

<Chair’s Note>  I now think, after reviewing the minutes that this is what issue 108 was supposed to be addressing. We need to work on both 108 and 115 resolution together.

5.3      Rel 108 Clarify semantics of polling

The following text is quoted from the f2f Minutes: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/5166/Minutes-Jan04f2f-b.htm

While a PollRequest can request acknowledgment of a messages with a range of sequence number values, it is not clear what happens when one or more of the messages in that range caused faults.

Consider, for example, a sequence of messages with the same

  GroupId and sequence numbers 0 to 4 sent using the Poll reply pattern.  If message 1 fails with an InvalidMessageHeader fault and message 3 fails with an InvalidRequest fault, what is the expected response for a PollRequest element containing <SequenceNumberRange from="0" to="4"/>?

ADD NEW ISSUE: Clarify semantics of polling  In particular there needs to be clarification that the poll reply only includes references to messages which were delivered.

Several members stated that this has already been resolved with clarifications in the current editor’s draft.

The document still needs to add some clarifications about using poll.

Agreed to leave rel 108 open for now.

5.4      Rel 76 – Meet R7.3 for general query mechanism of delivery

The TC agreed at the f2f (and it is recorded in the issues list) to a clarification that a Poll may be done for messages which were send by other reply patterns.  The following is quoted from the f2f minutes and is also recorded in the issue resolution for Rel 76:

14.15 REL-76  Meet Realization, R7.3 requirement

The Specification must define a solution for sender to receive delayed Acks, when it is not willing to receive underlying protocol requests, for one-way MEP. (see also issue REL-19)

Proposal:  Close as accommodated by WS-Reliability spec, since Polling reply pattern can be used to meet this requirement.  However, the spec does not yet support a general query for messages not sent using the poll reply pattern.

Add text to poll element in section 3.3 that states

In addition to its use for receiving replies for requests using the poll RM-Reply pattern, a Sending RMP may use it as a general query to determine non-expired messages which have been delivered.

If a Receving RMP does not support this general query, it MAY return a notSupportedFeature fault.

Resolution: Close by adding new text above.

This text has not yet been added to the document.  Iwasa needs to reflect this resolution it in the document.

Also, the following definition, in section 1.7,  needs to have its last sentence removed

*PollRequest Message:*

A polling message for Acknowledgment message(s). This is used for Poll binding pattern only.

5.5      Rel 106 Group termination after delivery

Should a reciever only update group termination value for messages which are delivered?

Tom Rutt sent email http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/email/archives/200402/msg00046.html  with the following proposal:

The sender is only sure that a request was received when it gets the ack from the Receiving RMP.

It might slightly increase the degree of synchronization of the Sending RMP's knowledge of the Group termination parameters in use by the Receiving RMP, if the Receiving RMP only updates its group termination parameter values after it has sent an acknowledgement to a message which contains new parameter values sent by the sending RMP.  However, such protocol behaviour adds complexity to the protocol.

It is much simpler to have the receiver update the group termination parameters it uses as soon as it receives a new value from the sender.  This will ensure that the sender's desires are reflected as soon as possible in the receiver's protocol behaviour.  Since we are sending the group termination parameter with every request, the receiver's knowledge of the sender's intent will be reflected back to the sender on an ack to a subsequent message to one that is lost..

Thus I recommend we answer the question as no for the specification, and close the issue with no change to the text..

Tom Rutt moves we close 106 with no change. Jacques seconds.

No opposition.  Motion Passes.

5.6      102 Message persistence at receiver

Current 2.6 text:

With Reliable Messaging, the sender is REQUIRED to persist the message until one of the following conditions are met:

Receipt of an Acknowledgment message from receiver, indicating the message has been successfully delivered.

All retry attempts have failed, and a delivery failure is reported to the application layer.

The span of time indicated by the ExpiryTime element has expired.

The receiver MUST persist out of order messages to support Guaranteed Message Ordering.

The receiver MUST persist the Message Identifier to support Duplicate Elimination. Both sender

and receiver MUST behave as if there was no system failure or system down after recovery.

Doug:  the first phrase “with reliable messaging” is incorrect.  The existing text is requiring too much.

Jacques: I agree with Doug.  Perhaps we do not need to mention persistence requirements. There is no other way to implement.

Jacques agreed to send his position on how to fix 2.7 to the list.  Jacques will make a case to minimize the statements.

Action: Jacques to initiate email discussion.

Leave issue open.

5.7      Rel 110 and 111 Fault cleanup and resource limitation fault

Agreed they are Completed.

Let people review during two week period.

5.8      Rel 112 – Group termination semantics clarification.

Agreed this is completed  Jacques gave text to Iwasa which is in the spec..

Let people review before we close.

5.9      Rel 113 Message Delivery processing after Fault.

Jacques: this point Needs discussion on the list.

Jacques volunteered to initiate discussion on the list.

Jacques: In case some feature is not supported, (exactly once delivery).  In case duplicate elimination is not supported, but guaranteed is supported.  What should we do in this case.  It is not a problem to deliver this message, but sending an indication.

Tom: do you mean an ack and a fault for the same message.

Jacques: this could have an implication on Sunil’s indication.

Sunil:  this is complicating proposal.  We do not know which succeeded which fails.  This can have two response elements.

Jacques: these are related.

Action: Jacques will send an email do start discussion.  Delivered with fault might be for non-supported features.

Leave open

5.10Rel 69 –

Agreed it should have been closed.

5.11Rel 25 Compatibility

Jeff will investigate with other oracle people to determine if we have any compatibility problems with Ws-security, and report back to us.

Jeff: it might be better to actually state how to use WS-Reliability with WS-Security.

Jeff will report back to the TC after this investication..

Agreed to leave Open.

6         Initiation of two week TC review

Tom: We agreed at F2F in January, that now is the right time to have people go thru document for review.

Doug: At F2F some members requested the document not change during this period. Doug would rather not make further changes so we can compile the list of concerns, leading up to the meeting.

Meeting agreed we should have no changes to the editor’s draft during the two week review.   We will freeze the editor’s draft for two weeks.

It was agreed that Iwasa will post an editor’s draft, correcting the editorial problems identified in these minutes by Wed Evening.

All TC members are encouraged to do a comprehensive review of the document, and send detailed comments to the list.

The comments should indicate the section number, to facilitate the chair collating the comments for discussion at the meetings.

During the review period, it was agreed to freeze the document.  Any further issue resolutions during this two week period will be reflected in the issues list, but we agreed to wait until the resolution of the review comments before being incorporated into a future version of the spec.

The meeting adjourned at 6:45 PM Eastern Standard Time.