Subject: Re: [wsrm] editorial updates for 0.93

Other comments are inline:

-snip-
> 4.--------------------------
>
> Section 2.2 (beginning):
> insert the middle sentence, for smoother reading:
> "Every Reliable Message MUST contain a globally unique Message Identifier.
> >>This Message Identifier relies on the notion of group<<. A message
always
> belongs to a group. "

I will add this in the upcoming spec.

> 5.--------------------------
>
> Section 2.3: Guaranteed Delivery:
>
> - Add at the beginning a reference to the RM agreement item that has been
> defined
> more generally in Section 1:
> "When the RM Agreement Item GuaranteedDelivery is enabled, the
AckRequested
> header
> element MUST be present in the Request element of the message header, for
> each
> message under this agreement."

I think this can be in section 3.2.1-AckRequested element, since this
explicitly mention about element names.

> Doing so allows to relate all requirements (MUST) for this feature, to the
> presence of this agreement item. So all these "MUST" are clearly
conditioned
> by the enabling of this agreement item: no abstract statement such as
"when
> guaranteed
> delivery is required... then header MUST..."
> When in the future a representation of the RM agreement is proposed
> (within this specification or outside), nothing in the spec body will need
> be changed:
> it will be enough to define how the RM Agreement binds to this
> represenstation.
>
> - Remove the current first sentence (no need to repeat the general
> definition given  for the agreement item.)

I think the difference for section1.7 , section1.9.1 and section 2.3-2.5
is not clear. I think thre definition of 1.9.1 can be move to section1.7 or
2.3-2.5.

> - The rule for stopping resending has actually 3 cases (not 2):
> "If the RMP sending a Reliable Message does not receive an Acknowledgment
> for a sent message
> that has not yet expired, it MUST resend the same message with same
Message
> Identifier to the
> receiver RMP until either one of the following occurs (whichever occurs
> first):
> . the sender gets an Acknowledgment message from the receiver,
> . the number of resend attempts specified by the RetryMaxTimes
> agreement item is exhausted,
>       . the messages expires (ExpiryTime is past).
>
> 6.-----------------------
>
> Section 2.4: Duplicate Elimination:
>
> - Add at the beginning a reference to the RM agreement item that has been
> defined
> more generally in Section 1:
> "When the RM Agreement Item NoDuplicateDelivery is enabled, the header
> element DuplicateElimination
> MUST be present in the Request element of the message header, for each
> message under this agreement."

I think this can be in section 3.2.2 with the same reason above.

> - Replace the sentence about persistence of message IDs, with:
> "In case the DuplicateElimination element is present, an RMP MUST check
for
> duplicates of the message
> over past messages that have not expired yet."
>
> 7.-----------------------
>
> Section 2.5: Guaranteed Message Ordering:
>
> - Add at the beginning a reference to the RM agreement item that has been
> defined
> more generally in Section 1:
> "When the RM Agreement Item OrderedDelivery is enabled,  the header
elements
> MessageOrder,
> AckRequested and DuplicateElimination MUST be present in the Request
> element, for each message
> under this agreement."

I think this can be in section 3.2.3 with the same reason above.

> - Sections 2.5 and 2.6 should be merged, as they are both describing
aspects
> of
> Guaranteed Message Ordering. The example for (1)(2)(3) should not be
> repeated
> in both (even if for different purposes) but be consolidated in 1 example.

Agree.

> Sequence number mechanism should be succinctly introduced so that reader
> understand what these numbers come from:
> "This specification defines a model that uses sequential numbers to
> represent the

This is a simple question to make sure:
Would it be appropriate to use a word "model" here?

> order of the messages in a sequence. The message header element
SequenceNum
> holds this number as value.
> Figure 3 illustrates how ordering is enforced. Assume the sender
application
> submits three messages.
> The sender RMP will number these messages in the order they have been
> submitted: (1)(2)(3) ..."
>

> - I would add the following text to illustrate how ordering can be
enforced,
> and underlining that persistence is just an option (see Jun Tatemura
mail):

> "The way a receiver RMP can enforce the ordering depends on the
> implementation:
> a common approach is to persist of out-of-order messages in a sequence,
> until the missing messages are received.

> How long the out-of-order sequence can be, is an implementation decision.
> However, a lazy approach would
> consist of simply ignoring the out of order messages, and of relying on
the
> resending mechanism to get these
> messages later, with increased chance that missing messages are received
> in-between."

> - We need to describe the failure case for ordering:
> "Failure Case:
> In case a message is missing and either (1) a received out-of-order
message
> has expired,
> or (2)  restoring an ordered delivery would require too much effort from
an
> implementation
> (e.g. the number of out-of-order messages is too large), the receiver RMP
> MUST abort
> the ordered delivery. This means that only an ordered,
> contiguous subset of the original sequence, starting from message "0",
> is allowed to be delivered.
> The sender RMP knows what are the messages that have not been delivered
yet,

> as they are those with sequence numbers beyond the greatest number for
which
> it
> has received an Acknowledgement."
>

> 8.-----------------------
>
> Section 2.5.1: Group Termination:
> - Add at the beginning a reference to the RM agreement item that has been
> defined
> more generally in Section 1:
> (replace the 2 first sentences with:)

>There are two RM Agreement items - GroupExpiryTime and GroupMaxIdleDuration
>that can be used to determine when a group can be terminated. These two
items can
>be considered as controlling the persistence of group data.
>To each of these agreement items, correspond respectively the message
header
>attributes: groupExpiryTime and groupMaxIdleTime. The following
requirements pertain to
>these header attributes:

I have updated with this text. But is there more appropriate word
instead of "header attributes"?

And the second attribute name in a SequenceNum is groupMaxIdleDuration
but not groupMaxIdleTime.

> - second bullet need be made more precise, similar to 1st bullet:
> "If the first message has either one of the two group persistence
parameter
> present
> (either groupExpiryTime, or groupMaxIdleDuration) then the group will be
> subject to termination rules t1, t2 or t3 described below"

Done.

> 9. -------------------------
> Section 2.9:
> Reword for more precision:
> "*The current version of the WS-Reliability protocol does not support
> reliability
> of WSDL response messages (the "output" messages in WSDL operations).
> It only supports reliability of the WSDL request ("input" messages).
> ** WS-I BP 1.0 disallows sending a SOAP envelope in HTTP response, so an
RMP
> is
> not required to support this.
> However, this specification does not require an RMP to enforce this
> restriction
> (i.e. WS-I BP compliance).

I have updated the spec with above.

> The receiver RMP may implement a "response" ReplyPattern if a received
> message asks for it. "

I felt this sentence is a little bit strange, especially for "may implement"
and
"if a received message asks for it".

I think the current text is OK. *If* we want to describe it clearly,
how about the following sentence?
The receiver RMP may send Acknowledgment mesage or Fault message
with SOAP envelope in HTTP response, when it supports "Response"
ReplyPattern or "Callback" ReplyPattern.

There are many comments remaining I couldn't implemented in the spec yet,
since I wanted to make sure the TC also agree with this.
So I would propose to list up the reaming comments
as review comments.

Thanks,

Iwasa